3-It Starts Here

I slammed the door behind me!

"Dammit!!!!" I shouted at the top of my lungs. I needed to think this out. But what was there to think about? I didn't want to go extinct! And I couldn't let my mom be involved, I wanted her safe too... I ran up the stairs to my room and started throwing all of my clothes into a back pack. I stuffed it so much it almost didn't zip up but I forced it. Then I quickly slid it under my bed. Then I fell back onto my bed and buried my face in my hands. How the hell was I gonna deal with this... Then I thought of something... Practice...

I threw myself together, I looked much better than I actually felt. I was sleep deprived, glad I wasn't crazy, but  very tired.

Home was probably a bad place to experiment with out of control abilities or at least it seemed that way. So, I headed back to that alley way I had woken up in. The sun was about to rise and my mom would be waking up soon. I had to try.

I stood in the alley trying to clear my mind, meditation. But no one there was doing that... Maybe it was easy and I was just dumb. I thought of a place I wanted to go. I opened them and nothing happened.

"Okay... Let's try something different," I said rubbing my hands together. I then thought of a place. This time, I focused hard on that place, it's details, where it was located. When I opened my eyes I was amazed. I was on a side street some blocks away. I thought it'd be easy for it to be a place I knew well and saw every day. Ironically, it was the place I met Jake. When I fist moved here, I had missed the bus and attempted to walk. I found myself lost when a teen boy walked up to me, I was crying at the time, and he said something I'd never forget.

"Excuse me, but I couldn't help but notice, you dropped your pocket,". I was too busy laughing to be scared, Jake walked me to school and that was that... That boy was always so slick, even when he wasn't.

"Oh crap! He's supposed to pick me up!" I said remembering although I had plenty time. 

I stepped onto a back area street, I sometimes used it to get places without drawing too much attention to myself. I walked slow, the hood on my head flapped gently against the cool, fall, breeze. I saw a car pull around the corner. It drove slow and watched me. My walk turned into a fast walk, then to a jog, and before I knew it I was sprinting to school as the vehicle tried to pursue me! Fatigue was catching up to me faster than the car, the buildings once speeding past me started to slow! Two more cars pulled in front of my exit! I quickly closed my eyes and when I opened them I was at school!

I was in the janitors closet, I dropped to the, gross, un-mopped floor, praising it. I never thought I'd see it again, and I never knew I would want to. I began to walk to my locker realizing I ditched Jake and didn't have my bag for school! I felt guilty but I really couldn't have done anything else, Jake would have to forgive me. Thankfully one of my issues was easily fixed. I wandered over to my locker and grabbed the books I needed. So now, I was set for the long day. Even though, after tonight, I probably would never see this place again. We always miss it once its gone...

Classes continued as normal but slower, since this would be my last day of school I sort of refused to do my work which made me extremely bored. At the end of each class, I would thank my teacher, tell them something nice, and leave like I would see them again. I did the same with my friends but more personal. The end of the day slowly rolled around, I was on my way to my last class, empty handed and at the moment, very emotional.

"Chloe," I heard Jake's voice say. I turned to see him. He looked a little disappointed.

"Look, before you say anything..."

"No. I'm sorry I didn't come get you this morning. I guess I just really didn't get enough sleep, or something but I overslept. Again I'm really sorry," he apologized. I was safe!!

"No. No. It's fine! I got caught up this morning and I would have missed you anyway!" I said. He looked very relieved.

"Oh wow. Great. I'm mean, not great. But great because..." he struggled to say.

"I like you," I blurt out. He looked speechless for a moment. He could even breathe it seemed.

"Can we have your attention please. Pardon this interruption, may we have Chloe Daggerfeld to the main office" a woman over the PA announced. I swore under my breath. Jake looked at me hopelessly as I turned and walked away. His one and only chance was ripped from him, I wonder why...?