12- After Hours pt 1

I jumped awake!

"John!" I shook John awake.

"What is it?!" He questioned.

"Something is wrong. We have to go... now!" I jumped up.

"Chloe, what is it?" He asked calmly. He rubbed his eyes.

"I can feel them... they're coming," I said feeling dazed.

"What? Who?" John asked. I shushed John.

"Pack up," I whispered. John scrambled to pick up the camp. I went to the barn door and got on my stomach. I cracked open the door. I looked out into the field. John finished packing up and laid down beside me looking to what I could see.

"Chloe... I don't see anything..." he said.

"No, look carefully. The flickering light far off,"

"Shit," he said under his breath.

"They must have picked up our teleport way out there and following tracks. We should go," I said grabbing what I brought. I took a hold of John and took him back to Manhattan. We appeared in the streets crowded with people but no-one seemed to notice or care. I started to walk off.

"Chloe! Wait," john stopped me in the street and pulled me a side. "What was that? How did you know they were coming?" He questioned.

"I- I don't know exactly... I felt something... like static or an electric charge.." I attempted to explain.

"Like, you could sense their technology?" He asked.

"Something like that... it's weirs but we're safe and far away from them," I said. John nodded.

"We should keep moving we never know who's watching.." john looked side to side a couple times and we continued back to base.

When we got back everyone was surprised to see us back so quickly.
John told them all an over exaggerated story about me saving the day to keep up the spirits of the others. I really seemed like a hero. Some of the younger kids came up to me and hugged me. It was sweet, but it made me feel a little sick inside. I never noticed how many people were trapped down here... fight for their lives everyday and training for a war that shouldn't exist. I wondered how many more people like us were out there?

John, Cara, Russel and I met up and talked about a plan.

"What are we gonna do? They seem to getting one step closer every time we leave.."Cara said.

"We should move," Russel added.

"Yes, but where?"John asked. We all stood quiet for a moment.

"We can't go anywhere without them hunting us down," Cara said getting upset. John quickly comforted her.

"Then," I said breaking the silence. "What do we do?" I question out loud. Everyone adverted eye contact. "What could we do?" I rephrased. Russel cut in.
"we could change grocery routes," I nodded.
"good, what else?" I looked to John and Cara who were still hugging.

"We could use our powers less, go out less or.." john was interrupted by Cara.
"Or just not have any powers," the words had left her like breath but it wasn't returning. John seemed horrified by her statement and kissed her on the head.

"That not a bad idea..." Russel said getting slashed with a dirty look from John.

"What? If we can't even use our powers, what the point of having them?" The room grew cold as silence filled the air. John sighed.

"You're not wrong... but I disagree. If we just cut back till something could be figured out... I don't know Russel," John releases from Cara and paced around the room for a bit. "We can't risk our people, they'll die or worse, be apart of ultra," john looked at me for a moment. I felt shameful.

"Why don't we just go under cover for a few days, no powers? What if we could find others like us? Maybe they're doing better and have ideas!" My mind began to race with all of these questions. Russel looked inspires and John shrugged which wasn't necessarily a bad thing, although Cara was dangerous. She was least hopeful out of all of us. She turned on us coldly and went to bed. I could understand where she was coming from, these people had been gifted but they lost more than they gained. They lived underground uncomfortably, slept in dank areas infested with rat and bug we've never seen but can hear. If they didn't agree to get help it would be up to me, one way or another I felt AA if I had to help..  if I didn't, none of us would make it.