"Come on then, Kelsi."

Scarlett dropped to the floor, leaning her back against the trunk of a tree as she brought her knees to her chest. In the spur of the moment, using Ricky to get back at EJ seemed fun but as she sat and thought more about it, it just made her feel petty and maybe a tiny bit guilty. She honestly wasn't sure what she was feeling anymore and the more she was alone with her thoughts the more she wanted to just drop her head and cry.

This summer was supposed to be the best summer yet and it was turning out to be the most confusing, disheartening summer she'd ever had. She let out a deep sigh, tipping her head back and staring up at the sky above her. She watched the way the clouds moved above her until the sound of her name brought her out of her trance.

"Hey, Scar."

She swivelled her head over to the sound. It was EJ. She has no idea what to even say to him, which wasn't necessarily new to her but usually it was in much more forgiving circumstances. She settled with a small smile that wasn't even close to reaching her eyes as she picked herself up from the floor.

"Okay, I know the whole reindeer costume was upsetting, but are you mad at me about something?" He questioned.

She cracked her fingers. "Don't get me started." She replied, hoping the stolen phrase would deflate some of the tension that rose between them.

He chuckled. "Is that a threat?" Her lips turned up into an almost smile as she swayed on her feet awkwardly. "Hey, I know today's a little weird. But I promise I'll have time to hang out once this whole Corbin thing gets sorted."

"Will you? 'Cause I kinda feel like we're having totally different summers."

EJ looked down at his shoes guilty, rocking on them back and forth. "Yeah, I know. But tomorrow's gonna be better. I promise. Okay?"

Scarlett grimaced at the promise. She had a feeling that he wasn't going to be able to keep that one but she nodded gently anyway.

___

EJ had gone back inside the barn as Scarlett sat on one of the benches outside of the building. She drummed her fingers against the wood, staring off and watching a small game of frisbee that was currently going on.

"Hey, you." Scarlett turned her head at the sound of her best friend's voice. Valentina smiled gently, taking a seat in front of her and crossing her legs. "That was really something."

Scarlett groaned, dropping her head to her knees as her hands ran through her hair. "I thought I'd feel better if I got under his skin but he came over and spoke to me earlier and he seems perfectly fine and I still feel like an idiot." She rushed out before taking a deep breath. "I feel like a bigger idiot." She lifted her head, resting her chin against her knees.

Valentina nodded her head as she listened to the girl. "You're not an idiot. I'm sure he has a valid reason as to why he decided to keep the letter from you... and tell another girl."

"I just." Scarlett shrugged her shoulders as she leaned back against the post behind her. "I just didn't think summer would include my first boyfriend fight." She let out a small laugh. "It's not even a real fight. It's like a one-sided confusion." She shook her head slowly. "My first boyfriend secret."

Valentina lifted her hands and shook them slightly. "Woo!" She cheered a little. "I mean, there's a first for everything. Who says they shouldn't all be celebrated?"

Channing then raced up the steps of the barn, clicking at the pair. "You two, inside, inside! I forgot something!"

Scarlett shared a confused look with Valentina who shrugged before standing up and offering her a hand. She took it gratefully, not letting go as they walked through the doors of the barn. They wandered over to the rest of the cast and crew, both of them being handed wooden panels that showed different hats.