Chapter 17

Wooyoung's eyes slowly opened when he felt something cool pressed against his forehead. He blinked a few times trying to adjust his vision. He didn't know where he was a low groan leaving his lips as the dull pain in his stomach grew. "Woo?" A soft voice asked. Wooyoung looked in the direction of the voice, his body feeling like lead, "Mingi?" He called out weakly. Mingi pushed the basin of water away scooting closer to his friend. He slipped his hand into Wooyoung's, "I'm here Woo" he reassured him. Wooyoung looked at Mingi, "where am i?" He asked trying to look around the room but he was still too weak. "You're in my room, I brought you back here after finding you unconscious yesterday" he explained.

Wooyoung closed his eyes, he was still so tired. "I couldn't...I couldn't stop her from taking him" a tear fell down his cheek as he remembered watching Hwasa drag Yunho away, how desperate his cries were. Mingi wiped away the tear, "We'll get him back. Seonghwa is with his people now discussing a plan" he explained. Mingi grabbed the cup of water he had on the table near the bed, going over and holding it to Wooyoung's lips. He used his free hand to gently hold Wooyoung's head up as he greedily drank the water. Once he was satisfied he helped him lay back down. "I couldn't protect Yeosang either" he mumbled as more tears fell down his face, "all I could do was watch...how can I be captain of the royal guard when I can't protect anyone" he clenched his fist.

Mingi shook his head, "you did everything you could Woo, what happened to Yeosang isn't your fault...please don't blame yourself" he whispered. Wooyoung closed his eyes trying to push the memory of Yeosang's smile as he accepted his fate away. Once he opened them he let out a shaky breath, "how did Jongho take it?" He asked. Mingi looked down sadly, "he didn't take it well...he lost his mate and never got the chance to bond. We had his burial ceremony this morning" he wiped away a few tears that fell down his face. The ceremony was beautiful yet heartbreaking. San said sometimes fate will give those a second chance after losing their mate, but it was extremely rare. San said he'd only seen it once in his lifetime.

Mingi gently touched the mating mark on his neck, he didn't know what he'd do if he lost Seonghwa. He quickly shook the thoughts from his head. "I wish I could've been there" Wooyoung chuckled softly. "Are you hungry? I can ask San to bring some food?" Mingi asked. Wooyoung nodded, "starving, who would've thought being stabbed so many times would increase the appetite" he chuckled. Mingi smiled, he was glad to see that despite everything Wooyoung still had his humor. "Let me go tell San" he said standing up and made his way outside the room.

************************************

Seonghwa, Hongjoong, and Jongho were gathered in Seonghwa's war room. A map of the dragon realm splayed out over the large table. "I was able to get more information out of the prisoners and Yongguk is residing here" Jongho pointed to a spot on the map where there was a cluster of mountains surrounded by forest. It was far away from Seonghwa's palace, a good place to remain hidden. "He's turned it into his ice fortress, everything around the area is frozen or covered in snow" he continued to explain. Seonghwa looked over the map, "we need to get a better view of what to expect. We'll be at a disadvantage. Hongjoong send some rabbits and hawks to scour the area" he looked at Hongjoong the royal advisor nodding. "We need to get Yunho out of there as soon as possible. Once we get more information about Yongguk's army we can make a strategy and strike" he crossed his arms over his chest.

Hongjoong looked over at Jongho. He was staring at the map with his fist clenched. Ever since he found out Yeosang was dead, he had become withdrawn. He didn't like seeing Jongho like this but he knew he needed time to process his grief. "I'll go gather the rabbits and hawks" Hongjoong turned to Seonghwa, bowing to him before leaving. Once Hongjoong left Seonghwa turned to Jongho, "soon Jongho, soon this will all be over" "it won't bring Yeosang back...I never even got to bond with him... I can't stop thinking that maybe if we just shared our blood...I would have been able to feel he was in trouble and save him" Jongho let out a shaky breath clenching his fist tighter. Tears pricked his eyes, "I was so happy to finally have found my mate. I always see how happy you and Hongjoong look and I was going to have that but now...it's just now fair" he wiped a tear that fell down his face.

Seonghwa pulled Jongho into a hug, the fire dragon broke down in his arms. Seonghwa held Jongho as he cried. "I am truly sorry Jongho...you don't deserve to feel this pain..." he whispered. Jongho cried harder, his sobs shaking his whole body. Seonghwa closed his eyes holding back his own tears, the pain of his friends was his pain as well and he hated seeing Jongho so broken. "With time this pain will dull, just remember that we are all here for you, and if fate smiles upon you, you will find your other half again" he pulled Jongho back cupping his face and wiping his tears. Jongho sniffled, "you're going to make a great king" he smiled softly. Seonghwa chuckled wiping a few stray tears from his face. "Shall we go check Mingi and Wooyoung?" He asked, removing his hands from the male's face. Jongho nodded and the two left the room.

************************************

Later in the day Hongjoong returned with information the animals had told him about Yongguk's fortress. Everyone gathered back in Seonghwa's war room with Mingi joining them this time. San had stayed back with Wooyoung to keep him company. "What did you learn?" Seonghwa asked the earth dragon. "His army isn't as big as ours but he does have an advantage. Majority of his army are made up of fire and ice dragons with most of them being mature. Solar and Wheein appear to be the captains" he explained. Jongho rolled his eyes, "of course, how could I forgot about the fact that those psycho bitches were also on his side" he mumbled.

"Who are Solar Wheein?" Mingi asked looking at everyone. "They originally were maids for Seonghwa, Solar was the one who would give information to Yongguk about his highness. They're a deadly combo Solar is a fire dragon and Wheein is ice both are fiercely loyal to Yongguk believing that he is the true ruler of the realm" Hongjoong explained. "Solar is also Hwasa's sister and like her sister she will go to whatever means in order to help Yongguk achieve his dream" Jongho added. Mingi nodded, "how do we defeat them?" He looked at Seonghwa. Seonghwa turned his attention to Jongho. Understanding what the crown prince wanted Jongho spoke. "The water dragons in our army would be at a disadvantage, therefore they will stay here. Our best shot at winning is bringing the fully matured fire dragons as well as the earth dragons. We only have three ice dragons in our army and only one of them is matured. However it is best we bring all three with us" he turned to Mingi.

"Mingi you will me take down Hwasa, Solar, and Wheein. It's best if you focus on Hwasa and I will focus on the other too. Our goal is to rescue King Yunho. Seonghwa will deal with Yongguk" he explained. Mingi nodded, he looked at Seonghwa his husband had a deadly look on his face. "We will leave in an hour, in order to maintain the element of surprise we can't fly, we'll go on horse back. Hongjoong you will stay here to keep everyone calm. San will stay too in order to tend to Wooyoung. Meet at the south gate" he instructed. Everyone nodded before bowing as they left the room to get everything prepared. Mingi looked at Seonghwa wrapping his arms around his waist, "im going to let Wooyoung know about the plan" he muttered. Seonghwa wrapped his arms around him as well.

He could tell Mingi was worried their completed bond conveyed the emotion to him. "Everything will be alright Mingi, I promise" he kissed him softly. Mingi kissed him back. Neither of them wanted to pull away afraid that this may be the last time they see each other. Eventually Seonghwa pulled away from the kiss, "There's some things I need to do, go and keep Wooyoung company until it's time to depart" he kissed him one last time before Mingi slipped out of his arms. "Come back to me okay?" He whispered his voice pleading. Seonghwa smiled, "I will, you come back to me okay?" "I will" he smiled before leaving the room. Seonghwa looked down at the map memorizing the terrain, "you're finally going to get the fight you wanted Yongguk" he whispered before exiting the room as well.