un » i see ashes up in the sky

Chan Christopher Bahng, his government name, spent most of his childhood travelling through many different countries.

Born in South Korea, stayed in Australia until he was five and after that it was everywhere, all over Asia, right through Africa, from Greenland to Uruguay and finally winding through Europe before settling in England with his parents when he was ten.

When he joined primary school, Chan was only there for his final year. Somehow, through all of his travelling, it made him surprisingly smarter and much more well-versed compared to his peers. He could speak many different languages and had a wide range of knowledge towards everything.

Where he stood out the most was definitely in sport. There were other boys in his class who were in football teams and girls who went to athletic clubs, Chan never joined any clubs nor teams, yet he was just as good, if not better than all the other 'sporty' students. The boy was the fastest, the strongest, had the most stamina, scored the most goals and always came first in everything.

Despite this, his classmates didn't hate him, they all thought he was the coolest person ever. Chan could tell them hundreds of stories about his travels, he could speak words in every language they could think of. Plus, if he was on your team, you'd always win.

The boy was sad when school ended, he hadn't known his friends for long and he wanted to spend more time with them. Of course, some would be going to the same high school as him, but many others wouldn't and he believed it to be unfair that they couldn't all just stick together.

That was until a week later, 24th July 2009, when there was multiple soft knocks on the front door. Chan's mum was the one to open the door, a friendly-looking lady was stood in the doorway. It's not someone Chan recognised, the lady was definitely older than almost all of the people in his neighbourhood and there was a certain aura about her that made her seem special (maybe a better word would be unique, Chan wasn't sure).

His mum invited the lady in after she said something that he didn't quite catch. Both of them made their way into the living room and not even a minute after Chan's mum was calling for him and his dad to join her.

The young boy had no idea what to expect, why would this lady need to speak to all of them. When Chan sat across from her, right next to his mum, the lady gave him a small, soft smile and it was enough to calm his nerves.

"I'm Professor McGonagall, Headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. If it would make you more comfortable you can call me Minerva." They lady, Minerva, introduced herself. She had addressed herself to Chan more than his parents.

There was a pause before Professor McGonagall spoke again, "Anyways, I'm sure you're all wondering why I'm here. This-" she held out a letter, "is for you Chan."
He took the letter from her cautiously, on one side he read his own name and address, until his eyes were drawn to the emblem in the corner.
'Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry' Chan read the words over in his head, this is where Minerva works.

Wait. "Witchcraft and wizardry?"

"Yes, Mr Bang, you read it right. Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry." It was Minerva's voice again, and she sounded like she was fully serious, no hint of a joke at all in her voice.

"But.. Witchcraft and wizardry?" Chan thought to himself for a minute. "Witches and wizards, they don't exist, do they?"
He looks between his parents, who look more surprised than anything, then to Professor McGonagall, who still has that small smile on her face.

"Mr Bang, have you ever had something happen to or around you that you couldn't explain? It may even be something you've grown used to, like always being able to find whatever you're looking for or always seeming to be the lucky one. It could be a one-and-done event as well, like accidentally making something fly or making it disappear, or, much like myself, turning it into something different completely."