dix-huit » got nothing but ashes in my eyes

Returning to school isn't fun for most students across the country, Hogwarts is slightly different, however, Jisung hates having to leave his parents behind, he knows they're not lonely, they have lives to live, mum being busy at St Mungo's and maman being Merlin knows where helping with dragons and other magical creatures. Other than that, he's excited to return, he's missed his lessons now that he can finally do and understand the magic. Most of all, he's missed Minho.

They meet up on the Hogwarts Express and Seungmin laughs at the brunette's lack of patience as he rushes through the compartments looking for the older boy.
"You do realise he's not your boyfriend?" The puppy boy says jokingly.
"But he will be, give us time." Jisung shoots the younger a glare.

Eventually, they do find each other, Jisung almost throws himself into Minho's arms which startles the other enough to turn his bright purple hair to a very synthetic looking neon green. Felix bursts out into a fit of giggles, starting a chain reaction of everyone laughing.

The journey doesn't consist of anything else special, they all talk about this and that and whatever they did over the holidays. Chan has the best stories, all of the different things he got to see and the new foods he got to eat and how magic is hidden in the cities of other countries. They never run out of things to talk about, even it means at some point they decide poking fun at Minho and Jisung is the best form of entertainment.

*

Once again, Jisung's plants survived the winter, although this year it was definitely more secure with the help of the magic running through him, he could feel the connection with the charm he had placed, he could feel every time his plants required a little more energy than normal.

Soonie startles him with a loud meow, Jisung turns to see the cat nudging his hear at Felix's arm, the blond having fallen asleep sitting against his bed post.
"Stupid." Jisung mumbles it lovingly. "He'll wake up in a few minutes Soonie."
It's not a surprise that Felix had a sleep attack, he'd stayed awake during the entire train journey, not exactly the best decision the younger could make.

It passes and the two of them make their way down to dinner to meet with everyone else. The feast is a little bigger than a normal evening meal, a celebration of being back at Hogwarts before lessons start the next day. Seungmin decides to entertain them all with the story of Jisung telling their parents about Minho, everyone else seems completely drained from the long journey. The night ends like every other and everything falls back into a routine again.

*

January passes swiftly, everyone focusing on getting through the miserable weather and the even more miserable mock exams. Jisung finally can thrive in his exams, the words that were once locked away now flow out of him like a fountain. Soonie's permanent residence in Felix's bed is gradually shifting to become a permanent residence in Jisung's bed, which rarely makes a difference considering how the two of them are constantly by each other's sides.

February begins peacefully. Minho takes Jisung on a date to the library where he picks out a fictional book that Minho reads aloud to him in one of the quieter corners away from the head librarian. The older boy has his arms wrapped around the younger, the book resting against Jisung's lap. Minho's purple hair tickles against the brunette's neck, the giggles caught in his chest but the smile was impossible to hide. He'd never be able to express how happy the older boy made him feel.

The happiness was interrupted by a piece of paper flying past his face before turning back and landing on top of the book. The purple haired boy's face screws up into a frown, the same look reflected on Jisung's face. He brings his hand forward tentatively to open the piece of paper.

'Dear Jisung,
I hope this reaches you well. Please visit me in my office as soon as you are free.
Professor M. McGonagall'

Jisung looks back to Minho, his face unreadable, "I think I should go now, it might be important."
"Do you want me to come with you?" The older asks, his hand gently stroking the other's arm.
Jisung's voice is barely a whisper, "Please... I want you there."

*

The staircase up to McGonagall's office opens itself up to Jisung as soon as he stands in front of it. He goes up, leaving Minho in the hallway, and promises to come back if McGonagall says it's okay for the other boy to join them; she can hardly refuse when Jisung asks, it's information concerning him and if he wants someone else there with him then he can choose that himself.

Minho holds Jisung's hand when he sees the look on the headmistresses face change from its usual polite smile to her eyebrows almost knitting together in concern.

"I'm sure you're curious why I've requested your presence. If you remember correctly, after our previous conversation I promised to look further into your circumstances. While the information I've found may not be all that useful in helping you, it's still new information."

Jisung lets out a small hum and Minho squeezes his hand tighter.

"It's come to my awareness, with the help of some of my contacts, that archaic magic is something we do have a few records on. However, by few, I do mean quite literally only a few. One of the records dates back around five hundred years, and I believe it to be the most informative. A student from Beauxbatons claimed to also be able to see the rips between archaic and modern magic, to my knowledge, she feared what the magic was able to do to her and refused to use it. In the record, it's stated that she passed away a few months after making these claims, her body was overrun with magic to the point it was assumed that it was the cause of her unfortunate passing."

Jisung was stunned by the information, even if he knew that he didn't need to fear the magic, that he would never try to hold it all in, knowing that someone else had died because of the same thing happening to him made it feel as though his heart was plummeting to his stomach.

"I know this may be a lot to take in, I just wanted to make sure you understood what this means for you." McGonagall's eyes flick between both of the boys.

"Professor, I think I'd find it impossible to hold this magic in even if I tried my hardest. It's wrapped around everything I do, everything I feel, it's even intertwined into my subconscious." The younger boy lets out a breath. "When I get too anxious, the magic manifests itself as a weather storm. When I'm happy, everything around me suddenly seems brighter. Even now, I can feel the magic leaving my hand to comfort Minho, despite me not even trying, it's almost like the magic is doing everything it can to make itself known.

The comment about Minho allows McGonagall's eyes to stray down to where their hands are interlinked, a smile takes over her face.

"As long as you don't force yourself to hold it in, I trust you to take care of yourself, and I trust Minho to make sure you're okay." Minho squeezes his hand again. "I'll let you get on your way, you know where I am if you need me."

*

Jisung stays quiet for the rest of the evening, when they join the rest of their friends for dinner, Minho is the one to explain the happenings of the day. Jisung finds himself cuddled into Felix's side, Dori is somewhere in his hair after having climbed out of Minho's pocket when they sat at the table.

Back in his dormitory, he collapses into bed, tiredness having overtook him more than it had his blond roommate by the time they had got to the room. He falls asleep without changing into sleep clothes, that's a problem for tomorrow's Jisung.

—————

surprise chapter ?? honestly didn't think i'd be updating until early july but it seems burnout has given me motivation to write. it doesn't make sense but i'll take it while it lasts.