trois » i reach out my hands toward you

Changbin never quite understood the tingling feeling he constantly had in his chest. It had been there for as long as he could remember. All he knew was that despite the uncomfortable feeling it gave him sometimes, it made him feel warm and it made him feel loved. It made him feel like he always had someone watching over him.

When that feeling changed for the first time, Changbin was only six years old. It had felt like part of his heart had been ripped out and replaced with an awkwardly numb feeling. The six months after that were horrendous, the feeling constantly coming and going, so many different feelings and sensations all due to this tingling feeling.

It wasn't until a few years later that Changbin found out all of it was to do with Felix; and that Hyunjin had felt the exact same thing.

This link between the three boys confused all of their parents, confused every seer and healer they met. No one could explain it fully, with evidence to show what they said was true. Some people made speculations, retold stories they heard, the link was formed by the universe, a way of bringing soulmates together.

Of course, the seer who told Changbin's parents this didn't forget to mention that soulmates can be platonic too upon finding out that the link was between three boys, even insisting that it must be a platonic. Oh how Changbin hated homophobia. He may have only been a child at the time but he knew how the world worked.

Around this time was when the boy started throwing pranks. It started off small, tricking people by hiding their things or making them believe something so obviously untrue. This was only so he could see how far he could push it, how far he could go with his tricks.

Magic isn't something that a child is supposed to be able to do at will, especially without a wand, but it seemed the universe wanted to help Changbin in his endeavours. All he wanted to do was make Hyunjin and Felix laugh, make them happier, so it made the tingling feeling in his chest grow warmer.

Pretending he could drink all of the water out of the Hwang's pond. Pretending he had taken Hyunjin's voice, so when the younger boy tried to sing all that came out was a crackled mess. He spent so much of his time lying next to Felix, waiting for the blond boy to wake up so he could show the other a trick where he conjured something out of nothing, one time he even made Felix's fairy lights turn into fireflies which formed different shapes above the boy as he woke up, almost like a baby's mobile.

Being a trickster was Changbin's thing, besides the weird magic connection thing he had going on with the universe.

*

Leaving for Hogwarts was one of his least favourite times, he didn't want to leave behind Hyunjin and Felix. Sure he'd be able to go back during breaks and he could write to them all the time and they'd both be joining him in the years after. Still that didn't make him feel any better about leaving them behind.

He had Minho with him, and with Minho always came Soonie and Dori. It was hard to stay sad when you had Soonie giving you cuddles.
Changbin's first year was hard, he hated that he couldn't be at home, he was thankful the Felix still had Hyunjin.

Second year was bittersweet, Hyunjin had also been sorted into Gryffindor thankfully so they could spend as much time as they wanted together. Changbin's pranks started back up again, giving Peeves new competition. However, Felix being at home by himself didn't make Changbin happy at all.

Both Changbin and Hyunjin could feel that lack of happiness from Felix, not that he'd ever directly tell them, the youngest of the trio couldn't help but keep his happy facade up at all times, it was just in his nature.

Changbin made sure when he returned home for Christmas that year to keep Felix as close to him as possible. Giving him more than enough time to put on an entire show for the other, remaking Hyunjin's sorting, sharing the moment Hyunjin caught his first golden snitch in the match against Slytherin as Gryffindor's first year seeker. The sights of the Halloween feast and how Hyunjin wanted to help Changbin dress up so much that he didn't have enough time for himself and ended up going as a veela, to which upon actually seeing instead of just hearing about, Felix snorted in laughter.

Returning back to Hogwarts in the new year might've been even harder than when Changbin first went to Hogwarts. It was indescribable just how much he felt towards Felix, and how much his happiness could make Changbin feel. The rest of the year went by swiftly however, and the meeting they had at the end of the year, the one for Felix went surprisingly well.

The meeting was planned well in advance, taking place even before Felix received his acceptance letter. It was inevitable that the blond would get a place at Hogwarts no matter what. At the meeting was of course Felix, his parents, Minho, Changbin and Hyunjin. Professor McGonagall originally planned for it to be family only but Felix's parents were adamant that Changbin and Hyunjin would join them, explaining the circumstances.

Throughout their time in the headmistresses office, they discussed a lot. Discussed how daily life would be, what would be put in place to make things easier, the plans for when he had flare ups or when making it to class would be impossible. They discussed everything from the trip on the Hogwarts Express to subject choices and how examinations could be amended to make them more suited to Felix's needs.

It was intriguing to Changbin just how thoroughly everything had been thought through, in the moment though, all he could focus on was that he was able to hold Felix's hand for the first time since Easter.

Third year came with Felix finally joining him at Hogwarts and things finally levelling out to resemble his normal once again. It also came with a newfound passion for potions.

Potions was the complete opposite of the magic Changbin was used to. The magic the universe had naturally gifted him with was very useful when it came to charms and defence against the dark arts. Potions was meticulous, some of the recipes were highly detailed. There were so many different ingredients all with their own properties, many that liked to be exceptions in certain cases. Being good at potions wasn't just being able to follow recipes down to the dot and make a perfect potion, it was about understanding the ingredients and their properties, understanding how magic was involved and what magic suited which potion. Being good at potions was being able to make a concoction of your own ingredients and predicting the outcome perfectly.

Changbin knew that it was insanely rare to be that good at a subject like potions. And he refused to let it go to waste. The universe had something in store for him, he didn't know what but he knew he had to use it.

That was when he decided he would put his all into becoming a healer. For the first time ever he decided that studying was the most important thing, learning everything he could as soon as he could so he could gain a better understanding of it before anyone else even knew about it.

It was definitely not every day that St Mungo's received letters from thirteen-year-olds asking if they could do placements there. That was something that put Changbin above everyone else, the summer between third and fourth year he'd spend two days a week at St Mungo's, at first only in the waiting area, helping patients in and looking after younger children, then he was allowed to help behind the reception desk until eventually he was allowed to help make potions for treatments. He wasn't allowed to help out in wards yet, only older students were. Still, he took what he could get.

Once again, fourth and fifth year were pretty average after that. Pretty average meaning nothing much more special happened. He kept up his pranks, he kept up his studying in potions, he still spent as much time as possible with Hyunjin and Felix. It was around the middle of Changbin's fifth year that the three of them decided they wanted to try being more than 'just friends' (as if they'd ever been just friends). It didn't surprise anyone, nothing much changed, if anything a lot of people thought they were already dating.

Starting his sixth year, Changbin knew it would only consist of more studying, with his N.E.W.T. courses starting this year he knew he'd be busy. By the summer of this year, he would finally be able to do a proper placement at St Mungo's, working in their wards and with other healers. He couldn't wait.

—————
next chapter might be later tomorrow, i didn't sleep so well.