huit » i can't stay like this forever

Quidditch was Jeongin's life, his older brother worked at the ministry in a department that had something to do with muggles and his younger brother was too young to have a specific interest yet.

However, just because quidditch was his life didn't mean he actually played it. His family wasn't the biggest but they lived in an average house which they got by just fine in with his dad's job at the ministry and his mum working as a muggle teacher. They didn't have much money for extras, which meant quidditch was something he only dreamt about and read about in books.

Its surprising how much someone can learn about a sport from such little. Jeongin had some input from his older brother though, as Jeongin lived through his childhood his brother was at Hogwarts, where he could watch and play quidditch as much as he wanted.

He didn't think he was that obsessed, until it was pointed out that it was all he ever talked about and how he started every conversation and how his entire room was decorated in quidditch related merchandise.

School wise, Jeongin wasn't the smartest boy to ever exist. He got by, maybe not enough for his mother's liking but it would do. Maybe, deep down, he thought that school was pointless if he was going to end up at Hogwarts anyways. Out of all of the subjects he had to learn, maths was his best, it was always right or wrong and there was no having to write words to explain himself.

*

It was impossible for his Hogwarts letter to be a surprise. Jeongin had been four years old when his brother received his own letter, since then he had been waiting for the day he got his own. Still, receiving it meant that he would really be going and he could finally go shopping in Diagon Alley to get everything he needed.

Diagon Alley wasn't exciting for the books or the robes and only a little for his wand. What did make Diagon Alley was definitely Quality Quidditch Supplies. Sure, Jeongin couldn't afford to buy anything from there but being able to see the brooms and the kits and the robes they sold was more than enough.

It was also definitely the amount of time that he spent in their that caused the older boy to talk to him. Hyunjin Hwang, Gryffindor seeker (even though he had only just finished his first year) and apparently son of the shop's owner. The two of them talked for a while, Jeongin saying how he loved quidditch even though he had never played and couldn't even afford his own broom, Hyunjin offered to teach him when they were both at Hogwarts where Jeongin would be able to use the school's broomsticks.

Jeongin thought Hyunjin was really nice for the offer, and hoped he would keep it up so they could become friends later on.

And he did keep that offer up. After Jeongin had befriended Jisung and Seungmin on the Hogwarts Express, after he had met Felix outside of Hogwarts, after all of the events that took place, such as being sorted into Ravenclaw and finally having his first classes, that was when he finally met up with Hyunjin.

Hyunjin who turned out to be close childhood friends with Felix. The older boy taught him all about actually playing quidditch, taught him how to play the seeker position better than anyone else in Ravenclaw house, so much that when he attended tryouts the next year he was immediately offered the seeker position.

Second year was when Jeongin's friendship grew massively, on one side he had Seungmin, Jisung and Felix, then on the other he had Hyunjin, Chan and Minho. Felix was also friends with Hyunjin, Chan and Minho was his brother but they never really spent time together. It was through Hyunjin and Minho that he met Changbin, another one of Felix's childhood friends.
Their friendship groups were so intertwined even if Seungmin and Jisung had never met the four older boys.

For Christmas during his second year, Jeongin's parents got him his own broomstick, so he wouldn't be the only person on a quidditch team using a school broom. He loved it so much.

Finally, with his third year, he at last found a subject he was really good at, or two. Arithmancy and ancient runes were not subjects everyone at Hogwarts that everyone took, most of them hated the subjects actually, but Jeongin was crazily good at them. He had such a natural ability for it that people thought he was insane, he didn't mind that though.

It also certainly didn't stop Seungmin from asking him out on his birthday that year, the one and only Seungmin he had been crushing on for an entire year. Not long after, maybe two months later, Felix finally got together with Changbin and Hyunjin, a surprise to literally no one. And third year continued like every other year, leading into the summer before fourth year.

Jeongin was convinced that this year would be the one he would finally introduce both of his friend groups fully to each other.

—————

short chapter because innie's character doesn't play that big a part in the plot which makes me sad but also its hard to give eight characters prominent parts and keep up with them.

currently writing the next chapter and i'm so excited.