Pain (2): Three of Hearts (2)

"Difficulty of the Operation: 10/10
The Doctor must put the Patient out of their misery. They may use any means necessary to get the Patient's heart to stop and CLEAR the game. They have 10 minutes to do so."

Teddy broke down in tears... It was too much for him to handle... What even was that? It was only a 3... Why? Why would someone be as cruel as to force him to kill the person he cared about the most? He stood up, scalpel in hand, and with shocking calm, told Jake: "In 10 minutes, you will have cleared the game." Before sitting on the floor, devastated. At least his life would be useful to someone. Jake was strong enough for it. He could survive the Borderlands, and maybe, who knows? Go back to the real world. But why... But did it have to be like that? And why would he refuse to kill Jake, someone he met mere days ago, to the point of sacrificing himself? He did not know... And he would never have a chance to...

Jake continued to lay down on the operation table, eyes wide open... What the fuck? What even was that game? It was just pure torture! Would it be the end? At least, he hopes it would not be it for Teddy. He had saved Jake in the Six of diamonds, putting his own life at risk... And here... It was Jake's chance to repay him... Plus, with what was currently happening inside the gang, he...
"In 10 minutes, you will have cleared the game" Teddy said calmly, before sitting on the ground, tossing the scalpel aside.
"No, Teddy! Don't do that! You deserve to live more than I do... So do it! "He said, screaming hysterically by this point.
"I'm sorry Jake, but no. I won't. I just can't" Teddy replied, shaking.

Jake, for once, realized he was helpless... Nothing... He could do nothing...

All his life, he had always been in charge of everything. When his dad left the house, he was in charge. When his mother died, he was in charge. When in high school he started gathering his friends to ride motorcycles and annoy people in the streets, he was in charge. When he started the Black Ace Mob, he was in charge. Always controlling, everywhere. This was his only way of feeling useful. He managed people, but always refused to rely on them, no matter the situation. And here he was, only 5 minutes left on the clock, and the person he cared the most about was about to sacrifice his life to save him.

Jake was not a thinker, he never was, but Teddy was, he always was. It was Teddy that had realized how to save Jake in the Six of Diamonds. Maybe... Maybe there was a reason why this was only a 3. But he'd have to do something he had never done before. Stop being in control, and trust someone else.

"Teddy! Instead of being a crybaby, use your intelligence! I will never allow you to die if you missed a way to save me!" Jake shouted.
Teddy raised his head, surprised... Why... Why did Jake seem so angry? And most importantly... What if he was right? He could not look at every detail on the room, so he had to think of something... What would be the best way to get out of this situation? No... That was not the right question to ask... The only real question was: "What is the only way for us to respect the rules without killing anyone?" Teddy became deep in thought, thinking of the rules. Suddenly, he had a flash of inspiration. There it was! The message only told Teddy to make Jake's heart stop, not to kill him.

If Jake's heart stopped, but he survived...they could both live.

He looked around the room, and he found something... A defibrillator! But how could he make Jake's heart stop? He looked at everything in the room, and found nothing... Some poisons could help, but... He did not know enough about those to make a correct decision... He was about to fail, at the very end... Only 2 minutes were left... He would never have the time to figure it out...

Ever since he was a child, Teddy was an introvert, not necessarily shy, but wanting to be alone rather than to stay with other people. He grew up in a nice family, and did not have to worry about any specific problems, so he never had to get along with other people, as he did not feel the need nor the will to. Every time he tried...he was shut out. Left alone. But here, he was in a solution that blocked him... He did not know... He could not solve this problem alone... But... He wasn't alone.

He never even was...

"Jake! Among all those poisons on the shelves, do you see any that just makes someone's heart stop within seconds, and without any other significant damage?" Teddy asked.
Jake smiled. Teddy had found something after all. He knew he could trust him. He looked at the poison, and pointed at one.
"Cyanide" Jake said, closing his eyes.

Jake looked at Liam, almost sad.
"Give this to the child without Khaleb noticing. He did not pay us back. I hate to do this but if I don't do anything... Everyone will abuse our kindness."
Liam looked back at Jake, with a sad tone: "You took the right decision, boss. Don't feel too guilty about it."

Teddy gave a cyanide pill to Jake, and closed his eyes, hoping it would work. 30 seconds left on the timer. Then, Teddy thought of something dramatic: What if the poison was too slow? Would they both... die?
These thoughts were cut short by a scream. A terrible, agonizing scream. Jake was holding his chest with his right arm, his face torn in pain... And then... He suddenly went numb. Lifeless.

"Congratulations to the Doctor! Player Teddy receives a GAME CLEAR for managing to complete all actions." The voice announced. But Teddy did not care.

There was no time to lose. He rushed towards the defibrillator, performing CPR to Jake. He was no doctor, would it really work? He put the device in Jake's torso, following the instructions, and...

A loud breathing sound could be heard, as Jake opened his eyes in shock. His chains unlocked, as the voice announced:

"The patient Jake has managed to stay alive. Therefore, he receives a GAME CLEAR."

Jake hugged Teddy, relieved. They managed to do it... Jake took a 3 of hearts card from the device at the entrance, and tore it apart, letting out a scream of joy. This was it...they'd done it.

Together.