Chapter 23

I bit back an annoyed groan when my phone rang, and I grabbed it and looked at it with bleary eyes to see, "Brickson" calling.

A small groan escaped my mouth but I answered the call while I laid my head on the pillow. "Hello?" I asked and closed my eyes again. "What do you want?"

He didn't say a word and only breathed in and out in my ear. His breath was filled with pain as if he was fighting himself against calling me for something.

Instantly, I opened my eyes and sat up, fully awake, and my dog sat up too, his ears pricked forward while he looked at me. "Brickson?" I asked. "What is it?" I scrambled out of bed and my dog was right by my side. "What happened?"

"Border. Hurry," he said through gritted teeth.

Click. And the line went dead.

I didn't try calling him back, knowing that it was futile. Instead, I tossed my phone onto my bed before I flung open my door and ran outside of the room.

"Corbin!" I yelled while I raced down the steps, taking two at a time with my dog by my side. "Get your ass up and let's go. Now!"

Two doors opened at the exact same time while I ran to the front door.

"Wait! What happened?" Corbin asked, shocked.

"Brickson," was my response and I flung open the front door and ran outside, not caring that I was barefoot or in my night clothes, which only consisted of a sports bra and short shorts.

There were a few curse words and thuds before they started to run out of the house and followed me closely behind without me having to say another word.

I had a feeling that they did not have that much clothes on either, but I didn't care because our job was to check on Brickson and make sure that he wasn't doing anything "stupid."

All too soon, we reached the border to see Brickson standing there holding a young girl by her throat.

"Laat zijn greep los, (Release his hold,)" I said in Dutch and flicked my wrist to send off my dog.

Kyler growled and picked up his speed until he was ahead of me. He didn't bark while he latched onto Brickson's arm, and Brickson dropped the girl.

"Damn it, Kel!" he exclaimed and shoved Kyler off of him, and my dog let go from the force of the Werewolf. "What was that for?"

"Laat hem met rust (Leave him be,)" I barked at my dog when he was about to attack him again.

Kyler snarled but did what I said and left him alone while I ran past, deciding that it wasn't worth it and to stay with the girl.

"Kel! Don't!" Brickson warned while I went past him, and i could hear the pain in his voice while I did so.

"Don't fight it," I said, not turning around to look at him. "Let's go."

Brickson growled but did what I said and started to chase after me.

"Wait!" Corbin said. "Wh-"

"Just focus on the girl," I yelled before I picked up my pace knowing full well that I had an angry Alpha following me. "I got him."

Brickson grunted but didn't say a word. All he did was follow me, making sure that I was in his line of sight while I ran away, teasing him every so often so that he wouldn't lose interest or whatever in chasing me.

Brickson cursed me every so often, but I didn't care while I made sure to get as far away from the pack as possible, not knowing what "tricks" my mate had up his sleeves because of the man behind his controlling.