Chapter 5

"I will make sure that she stays out of trouble," Clint said, putting his arm around my shoulders. He glanced at Kyler when he growled and muttered something neutering him himself before grunting when I jabbed him in the ribs with my elbow. Taking the hint, he removed his arm off of my shoulders and took a step away from me. "She and that "friend" of hers usually stay in a cabin on my pack land."

My mate narrowed his eyes at me before looking at Clint. "Are you sure you don't want me to deal with her?" he asked coldly, keeping an eye on me.

Clint stiffened and narrowed his eyes at my mate. Anger filled his body, and I could tell that he was ready to pounce on the other Alpha. "I think I can handle her just fine," he said through gritted teeth. "I have dealt with her before."

I bit my lip to keep from retorting. Annoyance filled my body as I looked at the three men before us, ignoring Henson as he slowly slinked away from the group. "I didn't do what you are accusing me of doing," I said coldly. "Even if I did, then I wouldn't be waltzing around the place."

"You could be covering up for someone," Mercer asked. He scowled when I scowled, and I could tell that he did not like me scowling at him. However, he stayed silent, which made me nervous because I had no idea what he was thinking.

"Well, like who?" I asked, folding my arms across my chest and jutting out my hip. "A pack?" I shook my head. "They don't call me unless they have a very bad Rogue problem. Small Rogue packs that don't do anything?" Again, I shook my head. "All they want is to be recognized as packs even if they can't be considered as one until a certain amount of people live there."

"What about a pack Alpha that has revenge on the mind and money to spare?"

I gave him an annoyed look and pursed my lips in disgust. "I am a Rogue Hunter, not an assassin and definitely not a puppet for a pack."

"And, how can you be sure that the person you are killing is not a member of a pack or a "Rogue" pack?"

"Same as you, Alpha," I shot back, causing him to growl out a warning. I snapped my fingers and pointed to the ground when Kyler jumped up and growled at the Alpha, causing him to lay back down with a huff.

He raised his eyebrow but stayed silent. He was daring me, causing my Wolf to bristle and growl out a warning.

"You know, by scent?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. "Each pack has its own scent, and Rogues have a different scent than those in packs."

Hunter ran back over to us. He had a disturbed and worried look in his eyes, causing me to stiffen. "Here," he said, handing me a piece of paper. "This was flashing on the screen of your truck."

I took the paper from his hands and looked at it. Anger filled my body as I shoved the paper to Clint, knowing that if I didn't, then I would have crumpled it up and walked away. "Take the truck to Clint's and stay there," I said, my voice shaking with anger. "I am going for a run. I'll meet you all there," I called over my shoulder as I started to make my way to the exit with my dog by my side.

"No, you are not," my mate said. "We a-"

I turned around and glared at him, silencing my dog with a wave of my hand. "We are finished, Alpha Brickson," I snarled, my teeth lengthening. I took a deep breath and tried to control my wolf, knowing full well that she was about to murder someone. "You hate angry Rogues, so you do not want to see me like this."

"Kel-" Clint was about to say, causing me to raise my hand and silence him. He pursed his lips before he sighed and nodded his head. He knew that he wouldn't get me to do anything while I was like this and knew that it would be best to let me go. "Just don't do anything stupid. We will need you alive."

I smirked at him, my eyes flashing to those of my Wolf's. "Trust me; it won't be that stupid. Not yet."

"Kellum," Clint warned, but I ignored him as I walked away from them with Kyler at my side.

***

I wasn't surprised to see my mate sitting on a tree stump in front of my cabin when I made it back with my dog still by my side. I raised an eyebrow at him as I trotted up the steps and to the front door before I pushed it open with my nose, grateful that Hunter had left it cracked for me.

As soon as it opened, I started to make my way in but stopped and looked back at him. I gestured for him to come in before walking to my room, knowing full well that he would follow me the rest of the way into the cabin.

"Were you just running around in Wolf form?" he asked, closing the door behind him and my dog. He ignored the growl that my dog sent his way, but I could tell that he did not like it one bit.

I turned to look at him and smirked before continuing my way to my room to get changed. I changed as quickly as I could before I went back to the main area where I knew that my mate and dog would be waiting.

Alpha Brickson looked up when I padded into the living room, a horse magazine in his hands. He placed it on the table and followed me into the kitchen before he leaned against the fridge, watching me and waiting for me to speak.

After a while, and getting no response, he growled and moved a hand across his face, impatiently. "Well?" he asked, watching as I pulled out a mug.

"Well, what?" I asked. I turned to look at him, my hand raised, and raised an eyebrow. "Coffee?" I asked, grateful that Hunter had made some coffee when he went into the house.

"Black," he grunted out. "What did you do?"

"Scout," I replied, grabbing another mug before going to the coffee pot. I poured the coffee into both and handed one to him before making my way to the living room with him following me.

"Scout what?"

"The last place where the Hannise Rogue group was located," I replied coldly. I sat down in one of the chairs and gestured for him to sit down as well, which he did, hesitantly because my dog decided to lay down in between us.

"And why were you trying to find information about them?"

"They were almost ready to form a pack. They only needed like fifteen new members until they were considered a pack. They had land and shit like that." I took a sip of the coffee and watched him.

Brickson had this poker face on, and I couldn't help but wonder if he was in any way connected with this. He was hiding something, I could tell. "Did they have the king's permission?" The tone of his voice changed, and it confirmed that he knew something more than he was leading on.

"Uh, ya," I replied. "But, someone wiped them out and then threatened me. That was the reason why I had left."

"Do you know who threatened you?"

I shook my head. "But, I am going to find out tonight. Right now, I think we are needed for a meeting."

"I don't approve of you being in the meeting."

"Well, too fucking bad. It isn't your call, Alpha. This isn't your pack, so you can just fuck off."

Brickson scowled and slammed the coffee mug down onto the table, breaking the mug and causing a huge mess that I would have to clean up. "Well, then, let's go." He stormed out of the house with me, watching before slamming the door behind him.

I shook my head, growling out, annoyed. "Asshole," I snarled. I went into the kitchen, placed my mug into the sink before grabbing a roll of paper towels to start to clean up his mess. "Fucking, fucking, asshole."