Chapter 13

Brickson stopped the truck in front of the packhouse and sat in front of the packhouse, not letting go of my hand. He stared straight ahead with his jaw, and I could sense this fear coming off of him while he stared at the person standing in front of the house with his arms crossed across his chest.

Mercer scowled when he caught sight of the both of us, and I had a feeling that Brickson was going to get an earful from the other Alpha.

Could he be the other Vesper? Could he be the one that was controlling my mate?

I pursed my lips when that thought appeared in my mind but didn't shoot it down because it could be possible since he was close. "He can't do anything," I said. "I am here under the jurisdiction of the king to be here."

Brickson growled but nodded. "I can't make you stay here in the car; can I?" he asked, and I shook my head, no. "Fine." He squeezed my hand before he let go and opened the door.

Taking a deep breath, I followed suit, with the file in hand, not knowing if I should be worried or not. I knew that Mercer couldn't do anything to me, not anymore, but if he was the Vesper, then I knew he would try to get my mate to do something. I didn't know what.

"Ms... Rice," Mercer said, forcing a grin on his face when I walked towards him with Brickson at my side but trailing a little bit further away. "I didn't know that you were coming here," he said, bowing his head. "Why are you here?"

"I am here under the jurisdiction of the king to get the remaining Hannise Rogue Group away from Alpha Brickson." I handed him the king's order, and the male took it from me. I placed my hands behind my back and watched him look through it. "I have had sources confirm that they are located here."

"By who?" Mercer asked and looked at Brickson. Anger and disgust filled his eyes, and my mate hid a flinch, but I was able to sense it. "Did y-"

"I had it from informants that were in the area," I said, interrupting him. I ignored the glare he sent my way and focused on the task at hand. I didn't need to be afraid of him and risk injuring one of the members of that pack or Brickson. "It was a Rogue Wolf that saw the destruction and had reported it."

"To who?"

"The top Rogue," I replied. I felt Brickson's gaze on my face but didn't look at him. My gaze was solely on the Alpha before me while he studied me with a critical gaze.

"I didn't recall that you were there," he said, closing the folder and handing it back to me. "I apologize, but the Alpha had already dealt with the rest of the members of the pack. You a-"

He wasn't able to finish his sentence because the door opened and a young boy, around the age of four, ran out with someone screaming 'Lukas' and chased after him because he ignored her.

The young boy leaped into my arms and clutched my neck with his short arms. Sobs wracked his body while I hugged him closer to me and rubbed his back soothingly, my heart skipping a beat before it pounded faster in my chest.

He is alive. Thank Goddess, he is alive.

Weight lifted off of my shoulders now that I had him in my arms because I knew that he was alive and, for the most part, safe. "I'm here," I said, placing a gentle kiss on the side of his head. I ignored the heated gaze of Brickson on my face while he tried to figure out why this young boy clutched me as if I was the only thing that kept him alive. "Shhhhhh. I've come to help. I am here."

"They're dead," he sobbed, and my heart broke by the pain and grief that filled it because I hated how lost and alone he felt. "Mama, Papa, and Jack. They are dead. He killed them." He didn't move his face from my neck, but I could still hear him and hear the amount of pressure that he was under because his family was dead. "Why did he kill them?"

"I don't know," I said, rubbing his back. I didn't tell him that his brother was alive, not knowing if Brickson had informed his "Master" that the "Alpha's" son was still alive and living with me. I didn't need the Master to know because if the Master did decide to attack, I would kill him before getting the information I needed. "But I will find out who and why, ok?"

The young boy, Lukas, pulled away and stared at me with gray eyes filled with tears. He looked at me as if I was stupid but kept his hands on my shoulders, even though I knew that he wanted to point out the killer. "But he i-"

"I will find out," I said, interrupting him. I gave him a look that he knew all too well, and he instantly closed his mouth. "Do you trust me?"

He nodded and stayed silent.

"Lukas Michael Pugh!" a female exclaimed, running out of the house. A look of terror was on her face because I was still close to Brickson with Lukas in my arms. "K-"

"He's safe, Penny," I said, interrupting her. I gave her a look that promised I would tell her what I could, and she closed her mouth and subtly nodded. "How many are alive?"

The female, Penny, cleared her throat and moved closer to me and away from Mercer and Brickson. Her whole body was tense, and I had a feeling that if she could, she would run away and take who she could with her now that I was there to protect them. "Not that many," she said with a sad sigh.

She moved a hand across her face and looked tired and sad because it was her son that had been killed. "And with Jack gone, the start of the pack can't happen." Her bottom lip shook, and she shook her head and cleared her throat. "And Marcus's dream of starting a new pack for those that have been abused or cast out without reason is no more."