Chapter 11

The sound of ringing filled the air and stirred me from my thoughts, breaking the silence that I found myself in. It rang and rang, and I stared at the phone, my mind still out of it until I came back to reality on the last ring and hit the accept button. "This is Kel," I said, rubbing my eyes and shaking my head.

"Where did you go?" the king asked. Worry filled his tone, and I could tell that he wondered if something bad had happened to me the last time we talked. "You didn't answer on the first ring like normal."

I bit back a sigh and moved a hand across my face, feeling tired. I knew that I needed sleep, not getting enough sleep the past couple of days because of all the tracking I had done while on call, and knew that I didn't know when I would get a full night's worth. "My apologies, Your Majesty," I said, making sure that he couldn't hear the tiredness in my voice. "I was thinking."

The king stayed silent and waited for me to elaborate before he finally groaned, and I had a feeling that he rubbed a hand across his face. "What is wrong, Kel?" he asked, dissatisfied about my lack of response. "What were you thinking about?"

"Nothing to worry about, Your Majesty," I replied curtly. A tired smirk flickered onto my lips when I heard him scoff in annoyance. "I have found out who had killed the Hannise Rogue Group and know that some are alive. I do not know how many, but I would like to have permission to go onto the pack's land to find out and get them out as soon as possible."

King Roland paused, and I heard the distinct sound of typing while he wrote an order. "Do you need to eradicate anyone from the pack?" he asked.

"No, Your Majesty," I replied. "Not yet, at least."

"Hmmm, what about temporary housing?" he asked. "Or do you already have a plan for that?"

"It's already settled, for now, Your Majesty," I replied. "Clint was awake, and I had called him. He will be able to house some people at his pack. The others will be transported to my house for the time being until they want to see what they want to do. However, they will be staying here for a couple of days."

"Hmph," the king said, approvingly. He was silent while he typed something out. "I will be sending in a couple of vans to help with the transporting. That way, if something does happen, then you will have some backup."

I pursed my lips but didn't argue. It would have been useless anyway. "Of course, Your Majesty," I said, letting my dissatisfaction show. "However, can you make sure that they do not act like they are under your orders?"

The king chuckled. "Of course," he said. "I am also sending Corbin there. He will assist in whatever is happening."

And keep him updated.

I pursed my lips further, not a fan of him coming. "Of course," I replied, my voice deeper to show my annoyance.

Like me, Corbin was a Vesper, someone that was able to control others with only an order, able to change the thoughts of others and get them to do their bidding. Commands of others couldn't affect them; even Vespers couldn't control each other.

"Don't do that, Kellum," the king warned. "I will still be safe. I will still have Taliah here with me, and you are the only one who can "control" me."

I pursed my lips and hid a wince. I did not like that he had brought that up, especially since this was being recorded, and each word could end up being used against me.

It had taken months for me to be able to do that to him, getting both his wolf and him to learn that I wouldn't use it against him and only did it for his protection against others that would abuse their "powers."

"No one will use it against you, Miss Rice," King Roland said, noting my silence. "If they do, then I will do something about it."

"Of course, Your Majesty," I replied doubtfully.

A long silence fell on us like a thick blanket. Neither one of us knew how to lift the blanket, the heavy feeling that had befallen on us as soon as he mentioned my control over him.

The king cleared his throat. "Now," he said. "Do you know who had done it?" he asked. "The killings?"

I cringed. "Yes," I replied. I bit back a sigh and closed my eyes. "It was my mate."

"Oh?" the king asked, sounding dissatisfied. There was a pinch of anger in his voice, and I knew that he didn't approve. "What is his name and position?"

"He is an Alpha," I replied. "His name is something that I will withhold, for now, Your Majesty, for I know what you want to do."

King Roland growled, and I held back an eye roll. "And why not?" he asked, finally letting the anger in his voice show. "He killed a pack. He should be punished, and acc-"

"He is being controlled by one of them," I said, interrupting him. "That is why I am withholding the information from you."

Them and us.

Us and them.

One who uses their powers for good and one who uses their power for evil.

Each one of us a Vesper, someone who had been discriminated against for years and killed because of the powers we possessed.

The king was silent, and it grew tenser and longer with each passing minute. There was no sound from the other end, and I had to check my phone to make sure we were still connected.

Two am. The white numbers flashed when I pulled my phone away from my ear. The seconds on the phone call ticked by slowly, but it meant we were still connected.

Finally, the king sighed, and I placed the phone back to my ear. "What do you know?" he asked, gravely.

"The person in question is a male and an Alpha," I replied. "He is near my mate and uses pain to control him."

"Do you know if there is a time frame he is controlled?" he asked.

I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know," I replied. "I know that it is harder for him to fight in the evening than in the morning. I will have him pick me up at eight in the morning tomorrow, so I am going to see how much he is underneath his control."

"Will you put him under yours?" he asked gently.

I paused and cringed. "I don't know," I said softly, letting hear the tiredness that I tried to keep hidden. "I am going to have to play it by ear."

"Hmmm," the king replied. "Just be careful. Ok? And get some sleep. Corbin will bring my order. Get some sleep. That is an order."

I smirked. "Yes, Your Majesty."

"Stay safe." And with that, he hung up.

I stared at the phone and sighed, shaking my head. I had no idea what tomorrow would bring, but I prayed that I could find some answers, some answers that would potentially help me save him.