Chapter 8

I took a sip of the beer and sighed. I had so many questions and concerns, but I didn't know how to ask them, especially now that someone I "didn't" know walked into the back area. "Do you know if it was just one person or just a pack?" I asked.

Xander shrugged his shoulder and looked at his cards before looking at me. "Couldn't tell you if I did," he replied and smirked when I rolled my eyes. He wagged his finger, and I had to raise my eyebrow, wanting to know what he was thinking. "You know, if you keep rolling your eyes like that, then you're going to get them stuck in the back of your head, Miss Rice."

I snorted and rolled my eyes to spite him and ignored his snort. I took another sip of my beer and set it down before looking at my cards. "I am nineteen-years-old, Xander. I think that I should be able to know when something is false."

Xander shrugged but didn't make another comment. "It looks like a pack had done it," he said, changing the subject. He paused and tossed some of his chips onto the middle of the table. "However, it could have just been one person."

"It was one person," Jack said softly. His whole body was tense, and he was looking at the guy in the hood. He moved closer to me, his heart starting pound faster. Fear came off him in waves, and I knew that he didn't like being in the same room as the man who killed his pack. "He was powerful, more powerful than any man could be."

I scowled and nodded my head. The urge to kill my mate where he stood was strong, but I stopped myself, knowing that I had to get more information to find out what was happening. It also pained me to think like that because this male was my mate and not some random male off the street. "Did he seem to be under a spell?" I asked, looking at him.

"Spell?" Jack asked, furrowing his brows, and cocking his head. He studied me before he furrowed his brows closer together. "What do you mean by a spell?"

"Long story short, there are people that use Werewolves as bait. They want to create wars and shit," I replied. I shrugged and tossed a chip onto the table. "Met a few of them. Saved a couple of their lives because they were going to be persecuted."

"And, there are those Wolves with 'special gifts,'" Xander said. He placed his cards down onto the table, and some of the other members cursed out loud. A smirk appeared on his face, but he kept his gaze on me and didn't look at his members.

"I thought we had agreed not to talk about them," I said, interrupting Jack from asking about them. I sent him an annoyed look, and he shrugged smirking. I narrowed my eyes at him before looking at Jack. "Don't ask about them," I warned. "I'm not going to say anything about them, and neither is Xander." I glared at him, and Xander chuckled before holding his hands out in mock surrender.

"Why not?" he asked. "Are they dangerous?"

"They are not, per se," Xander replied. "They can't be controlled by their Alpha's command or by anyone's command, actually," he added, leaning back in his chair. "For example, the King has problems giving them orders. This causes them to be dangerous if they are plotting against the throne or a different pack."

I bit back a sigh of annoyance, not thrilled to be talking about them. I didn't mind talking about them, but it was harder for me because I was one of them. The more I talked about them, the harder it was for me to stay hidden because all I wanted to do was defend them and try to say more of my experience being one.

It didn't help that Xander knew what I was, having figured it out a long time ago before even I knew it.

"How many are there?" Jack asked.

Xander and I looked at each other before looking at Jack. "No one knows," he said. "About half of them had been killed off by previous kings while others stay hidden, making sure to keep out of sight."

"Or, at least have their powers hidden," I replied. I took a sip of my drink and placed it back in its spot. "There are some people that try to find them."

"Why?"

"To gain control of others," Xander replied. He shifted in his seat and looked at me. "You know that the person could be controlled not by magic but by one of them," he said, and I nodded my head, confirming that I knew. "And, it's going to be difficult for you to find out who it is."

"If it is one of them controlling him," I replied. I glanced at the male at the bar before looking at Jack. "What all can you tell me about that?" I asked, changing the subject. "Or do I need to go searching for more information?"

Jack looked down at his hands and licked his lips. He blinked back some tears and shook his head. "I don't know," he whispered. "I-I was supposed to be helping with dinner, but I wasn't. I-I was hiding in the forest when I saw the man. Something... didn't add up right, so I just stayed hidden. It's my fault that they are dead. I-I didn't warn them. I should have warned them."

"Hey, listen to me," I said, placing my hand on his. I squeezed it, my heart breaking for this young male. I could see that this was killing him and understood how he felt, having been through it a long time ago when I was younger than him. "It's not your fault. It's not anyone's fault except for the guy that had killed the pack."

"But-"

I gave him a look, and he shut his mouth, not continuing that sentence. "Dominic would not have blamed you," I said, talking about his father, the Alpha of the pack. "He'd be more concerned as to how you are holding up and what is going to happen to you."

Jack hesitated but nodded his head. "What is going to happen to me?" he asked, his voice soft. "I-I don't want to stay here."

"And, you won't," I replied. "Because you are going to come with me. I think that is the safest option for you right now rather than staying somewhere else."

"Why?"

I finished the rest of my beer and set the bottle down on the coaster. I looked at him, my gaze hard. "Because," I replied. "If anyone tries to harm you, then I will kill them myself. I don't care if they want me dead. They will not hurt you."

A look of relief appeared on his face while he stared at me. Hope filled his eyes, and they were still watery because he wanted to cry. His whole body became relaxed, but I knew it would take him much longer before he could fully relax again. "Promise?" he asked, his voice shaking with hope.

I nodded and squeezed his hand, reassuring myself and him that he was there and safe. "Promise."