Tribulatio in Paradiso

After classes and dinner were over for the day, Aelin headed into Hogsmeade to meet up with Garreth at the Three Broomsticks.

He was waiting for her outside with a bouquet of flowers.

"Aelin! It's good to see you!"

She smiled at him, even though she was less than excited to see what he had planned for her. Imelda already mentioned that she heard that Garreth was planning on asking her to the Yule Ball.

She should be happier about this. Garreth is caring and funny. Why shouldn't she accept his proposal?

But then there was the issue of Sebastian. Their relationship was already practically non-existent. She really didn't want to do anything to make it even worse.

"Garreth, hi. Thanks for the invite."

He eagerly handed her the flowers and took her hand. "Let's head inside!"

She was essentially dragged into the Three Broomsticks. Garreth led her to a table in the back that he had set up with more flowers and some lit candles.

As she sat down at the table, she felt like someone was watching her. She took a quick look around the room, and sure enough, Sebastian was sitting near the bar with Evangeline, and his eyes were glued to her.

Of course he would be here.

She quickly looked back at Garreth. "So Garreth, what's the occasion for all of this?"

"Well, Aelin. I have a very important question to ask you." Garreth's freckled cheeks lit up with a faint pink blush.

"Go on..."

"I was hoping that you would do me the honor of accompanying me to the Yule Ball next month-"

Aelin cut him off before he could finish his sentence. "Oh, Garreth, I'm sorry. I don't think I'll be attending the ball. It's not really my thing, you know?"

She looked back over at Sebastian for a moment and saw him smirk at her, as if he knew that she had just turned Garreth down. When she turned back to Garreth, his expression changed to one of disappointment.

"Oh, that's...really unfortunate. Are you sure? It might be fun..."

I won't allow Sebastian Sallow to ruin any chance I have at having a little fun.

Aelin thought for a few moments, and let out a sigh. "You know what? Sure. I'll go with you, but just as friends."

When Garreth's face lit up, she glanced over her shoulder at Sebastian again, who now looked absolutely furious. He turned to Evangeline and whispered something to her before storming out of the Three Broomsticks.

After a few minutes of casual conversation with Garreth, a small paper butterfly fluttered towards Aelin and landed in front of her on the table. She opened the paper up to see a single word written.

Outside.

She knew that handwriting well. It was obviously Sebastian's.

"What's that? Is everything alright?" Garreth asked.

"Yes, everything is fine. I'll be right back." Aelin stood up from the table and headed for the exit.

~~~

Sebastian was pacing back and forth outside of the Three Broomsticks when she walked outside.

"Really, Malfoy? Weasley?" He spat.

Aelin rolled her eyes. "It's just as friends, Sebastian."

"Yeah, that's what you say, but I know how he is. He's going to look too far into it and think you have feelings for him."