Pax Labilis

Aelin awakened to the sound of feathered wings entering her room. She crossed the short distance to grab the letters from her owl. Two today. One was undoubtedly from her father. The other was unmarked on the outside.

She opted to open the unmarked letter first. She immediately recognized the handwriting to be Sebastian's.

A,

Lying in bed and can't stop thinking of you. I should have just conveniently fallen asleep in your room last night after we talked.

I'm a single man now, I don't have to be worried about accusations of infidelity.

I shall see you in the morning, darling.

-S

Aelin snorted. She knew he had to have been wearing that signature Sebastian Sallow smirk when he was writing to her. She decided to write him back, if only to tease him.

If your mind was so stuck on me, you should have just snuck back to my room

I'm sure Anne wouldn't have minded. I would have kept you quiet.

-A

She sent the note off with her owl and tore open the second letter. The one from her father.

Aelin.

Your insolence is not surprising in the slightest. But no matter. You are my only daughter, and the Gaunt's soiree is the one of the greatest opportunities to show you off to potential suitors.

I expect to see you in attendance, and I expect to see you entertaining the attention of young men other than that Sallow boy. He has nothing to offer you or our family and a marriage between you and someone so lowly would be disastrous to our family name.

The letter ended abruptly. Her father didn't even sign it.

He's going to be furious when I don't show up.

Aelin chuckled to herself. Her father's threats didn't scare her. Her and Sebastian had already figured everything out.

She would not be marrying some stuck-up pureblood heir.

~~~

Aelin walked out into the common room, only to find a particularly distraught Ominis standing near the large fireplace.

"Ominis? Is something wrong?" She asked.

He turned to her, and without saying a word, he handed her a single piece of parchment. Another letter.

"Is this from-"

"Just read it..." He whispered.

Ominis.

I received word from a dear friend of mine that the lovely Miss Malfoy was interfering in her affairs. Something about Sallow, I wasn't particularly paying attention. I also heard that Aelin is refusing to attend our lovely annual Holiday gathering. Such a shame.