Tempus Pacis

It was still dark when Aelin awoke. Another nightmare of Azkaban. She sat up in the bed and looked around the room in a bit of a panic, when she suddenly felt strong arms around her.

"It's alright, darling. I've got you. It was just a nightmare." Sebastian whispered from next to her.

She looked down at him in confusion for a few moments before remembering that he had asked her to sleep in his bed with him earlier that night.

"I'm fine, Seb. I just-"

"Why didn't you tell me you were still having nightmares?" He asked, his expression changing to one of concern.

"I honestly haven't had one in a while. I guess everything that happened with Marvolo just brought back some flashbacks of my time in Azkaban." She explained.

"You don't have to face it alone, you know..."

Aelin laid back down and faced him. "I know. I just don't want to burden anyone else with my trauma. It's something I have to learn to overcome."

Sebastian's hand made its way to her cheek. "You have never been, nor will you ever be a burden. You have borne so much more than I can even imagine. You are the strongest person I know, Aelin, and I admire you so much for that."

Aelin let out a soft sigh of relief. "You always know what to say to make me feel better."

"Of course I do!" Sebastian chuckled. "What kind of best friend would I be if I didn't?"

She gazed into his eyes in silence for a few moments before she spoke again. "I'm really lucky to have you."

"And I am just as lucky to have you." Sebastian smiled. "Now, try to get some rest. We have a long day ahead of us."

Aelin had no trouble sleeping through the rest of the night.

~~~

Bright beams of sunlight shone through the windows of Sallow Manor. Aelin sat up and was immediately hit with the smell of cinnamon. She remembered that Anne had mentioned that she loved baking, and was curious to see what she had fixed up for breakfast. She looked to her side and, when she saw that Sebastian was still asleep, carefully tried to move out of the bed to avoid waking him. Unfortunately for her, Sebastian wasn't about to allow her to leave the bed and wrapped his arms around her waist.

"Where are you going so early?" He asked, his voice still thick and raspy from sleep.

"I'm going to go see if Anne needs any help with breakfast." Aelin whispered.

He shook his head. "Stay with me instead."

"Seb...You know this can't continue, right? You're technically still seeing Evangeline, and if you try to break things off with her, you'll be breaking your vow."

"You said you thought you could use your shadow magic to heal Anne...Try it today. I don't want to have to pretend to like Evangeline any longer."

Aelin sighed. "Seb, I don't think I'm ready yet. I just need a little longer. Give me until after the Yule Ball."

"After the Yule Ball?" He asked incredulously. "But that means I'll still have to go with her." He let his head fall backward onto his pillow and groaned in annoyance.

"It's just one night."

"It may just be one night, but I'm not sure what she has planned." He closed his eyes and appeared to work his jaw before continuing. "Evangeline has been trying to get me to...sleep with her."

Aelin tilted her head in confusion. "You mean you haven't-"

"No, I haven't." He interrupted. "Haven't even thought about it."