Deprensus Utebatur

Aelin and Sebastian entered the Great Hall together, both scanning the room for a certain red-headed, freckled Gryffindor.

"That prick...He's probably off cowering somewhere." Sebastian chuckled darkly.

"I don't know, Seb. He probably doesn't think we suspect anything at all. He is pretty daft."

Another chuckle escaped Sebastian's lips. "You're not wrong."

They eventually found Garreth sitting at a table with Natty and Poppy. When they approached, Garreth's face fell.

"Aelin...Sallow...I was wondering where you two ran off to...Is everything alright?"

Sebastian's eyes darkened. "No, Weasley, everything is not alright."

Poppy and Natty both looked on with wide eyes.

"Tell me, Weasley...Do you think it's funny to spike someone's drink with amortentia? It's just a prank right?" Sebastian hissed.

Garreth's jaw dropped in shock. "What do you mean? I would never-"

Aelin spoke up before Sebastian could respond. "Save it, Weasley. Leander told us everything. I can't believe you tried to slip me amortentia!"

Sebastian crossed his arms in front of his chest and worked his jaw. "I knew you were desperate, but this is just outrageous."

Garreth sighed. "Look, I'm sorry, okay? I just...really wanted Aelin to like me. But I should have known she was still too hung up on you, Sallow. I mean, she basically follows you around like she's a lost puppy. I never thought she'd be the type to be the other woman."

Sebastian raised a brow in curiosity. "And what exactly do you mean by that?"

The Gryffindor shrugged. "I mean, you're technically still with Evangeline, yes? Aelin is just your side woman and-"

Garreth wasn't able to finish his sentence before Sebastian's fist made contact with his face.

Aelin's eyes widened in shock, and everyone nearby who witnessed the act of violence seemed to go still.

"Don't you ever speak about her like that. She is way out of your league, Weasley." Sebastian's eyes were even darker than before.

"Seb..." Aelin put a hand on his arm. "He's not worth it."

When Sebastian glanced back at Aelin, his expression softened a bit. "I know, love. But he-"

She nodded. "I know. It's okay."

Professor Sharp, who seemingly witnessed the event, came walking over to the group.

Sebastian took a step away from Garreth.

"Mr. Sallow, care to explain to me why you felt the need to punch Mr. Weasley in the face?"

Aelin stepped in to try to defend Sebastian. "Sebastian was only defending me, sir. Weasl- er...Garreth said some really inappropriate things about me."

Sharp nodded. "I'll let it slide this time." He turned to Garreth. "Come with me, Mr. Weasley. I think we need to go speak with your aunt about this."

Garreth sighed and mumbled a half-assed apology to Aelin before following Professor Sharp out of the room.

Sebastian turned back to Aelin. "Now that the Weasley issue is settled, care to dance with me?"

Aelin smiled and took his hand.

~~~

Sebastian led her out to the dance floor and pulled her close. "Have I told you how breathtakingly beautiful you look tonight?"

Aelin let out a soft chuckle. "Only once or twice, but I wouldn't be opposed to hearing it a third time."

"Well then, allow me to say it again. You look absolutely stunning. No one else even holds a candle to your beauty tonight."

She blushed. "Oh, stop."

Sebastian grinned from ear to ear. "How could you expect me to stop when you react like that? You look cute when you blush."

Her blush only deepened at that.

Merlin, how she adored this man. She felt like she could melt every time she gazed into those brown orbs of his. Especially when he stared at her with such admiration in his eyes.

She knew the time was coming where she would be able to cure Anne completely and free Sebastian from his vow with Evangeline. She knew he would let her try it at that very moment if she asked. Not only did he yearn to see his sister restored to full health, but she knew he wanted nothing more than to be able to break ties with Evangeline and publicly show his love for her instead.

"Something on your mind, love?"

Aelin snapped out of her daydream. "I'm just...Thinking about how great it'll be after I free you from that stupid vow you made."

He barked out a laugh. "You're never going to let me live that one down are you?"

"No, I suppose not." She chuckled. "We'll be old and gray and I'll still be teasing you about it."

Sebastian's expression softened. "I want nothing more than to spend the rest of my days by your side."

"Then I guess I better use that spell on your sister soon, huh?"

"You think you're ready?"

"I think so. I've been practicing on my own with mandrakes."

Sebastian sighed. "Plants are a lot different from humans, Aelin."

"I know Seb, but I have to try. It's not fair that you're stuck in this stupid fake relationship with Evangeline and Anne really just deserves to be healthy and-"

Sebastian grabbed her face and kissed her to stop her rambling.

"SEBASTIAN SALLOW."

At that moment, Aelin remembered that it wasn't just the two of them. They were still in the middle of the dance floor at the Yule ball.

And Sebastian just kissed her in front of everyone. Including Evangeline.

Sebastian seemed to ignore the annoying voice of the Gryffindor behind him, but Aelin froze in place.

Evangeline tugged on his arm angrily. "Really, Sebastian?"

He simply shrugged in response.

"You're supposed to be my date, remember?" Evangeline hissed.

"I am. I walked in with you, didn't I? Just because I'm your date, doesn't mean I can't dance with anyone else."

"You just kissed her! I saw it and so did everyone else. Don't forget our vow!"

"There's nothing in the vow that says I can't kiss her." Sebastian scoffed. "And you and I are still technically together. Unless you want to change that and take us both out as a result."

Evangeline, obviously frustrated that he had found a loophole, stormed off.

Sebastian turned back to Aelin. "So how soon do you want to try this spell? Tonight?"

"Tomorrow. Let's just try to enjoy ourselves tonight."

Sebastian smiled and grabbed her hand, dragging her back towards the middle of the dance floor. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Short chapter to wrap up the Yule Ball shenanigans. 

In other news, that pesky unbreakable vow that Seb made will be taken care of next chapter. 👀

I also posted the first part of my new "short story" (it's in quotations because it started as a oneshot, but grew into a short story...and may just grow into a full fledged fic at some point 😂). It's accompanied by full audio. You can check that out here if you're interested: 

https://www.wattpad.com/story/355275452-dancing-with-your-ghost