Reconciliationis

As much as Aelin liked to believe that her encounter with Sebastian the previous night at the party would change things, she knew deep down that it wouldn't. He would just go back to pretending like they were never anything more than acquaintances.

To her surprise, she was absolutely incorrect.

When she walked out into the common room that morning, Sebastian was waiting for her on one of the couches.

"Ah, there you are."

Aelin felt a little surprised that he was even acknowledging her existence.

"Seb...are you alright?"

He actually smiled at her. "I am. I only remember bits and pieces of what happened last night but Ominis filled in the blanks. I wanted to thank you for making sure I got back here safe...And I...I also owe you an apology."

"It's really not a big deal. I know you would have done the same for me...even though we aren't exactly on the best of terms."

"No, Aelin. It is a big deal. I've treated you so poorly, but you still cared enough to make sure I didn't get myself into any trouble."

Sebastian sighed heavily. "And I'm sorry for forcing that kiss on you...I...admit that even though I was pretty buzzed, everything I said was the truth. I only regret that I wasn't completely sober when it happened."

Aelin's eyes widened. "Really?"

He nodded. "I know I keep saying that you're better off without me. But it's so hard for me to just stay away. There's so much I want to talk to you about, so much trouble for us to get into." He chuckles. "Do you think...we could go back to being friends again?"

Friends.

So he's still going to be with Evangeline.

But maybe being friends is a good start to repairing all of the damage to our relationship.

"Yes. I'd like that alot." She responded with a small smile.

Sebastian's smile widened. "Can I hug you? Or is that too much too soon?"

She rolled her eyes playfully and pulled him into a hug.

"Thank you, Aelin. I know you didn't have to forgive me or give me a second chance. But I promise, I won't hurt you again."

"I trust you, Seb. We can work everything out." She whispered.

They both broke away from the hug after a few moments.

"Now, Miss Malfoy, will you do me the honor of accompanying me to breakfast?"

"It would be my pleasure, Mr. Sallow."

~~~

The two freshly reunited friends made their way to the Great Hall and sat together at the Slytherin table to everyone's surprise.

Anne was the first to notice. "You two seem awfully friendly with each other this morning."

Sebastian let out a low chuckle. "Well, my dear sister, Aelin and I have decided to be friends again."

Anne immediately looked over at Aelin with a huge grin. "Is that so? Well, I'm glad to hear it. I knew it was only a matter of time before you two decided to stop being so damn stubborn."

Aelin laughed. "We have always been the two most stubborn people in our little family."

Ominis's face lit up with a smile. "Our little family. I have to say, I've missed this."