Chapter Three

The dark cat kept low as the dogs passed, hoping they wouldn't scent him. Where were they? They were supposed to meet him here. Darkcloud let his fur lie flat as the dogs were dragged away by their twolegs. Why did I ever think I could count on them?

     He should have known better than to trust the word of rogues

     He should have known better than to trust the word of rogues. Letting out a small hiss, he began to crawl out of the brush. His odd, fluffy tail caught on a patch of briars, making Darkcloud hiss again. Can't I have a break? He twisted back around and took his tail in his mouth, gently pulling it out of the thorns.

     An owl hooted somewhere as he stepped onto the empty twoleg path. His stomach growled, but he was too tired and irritated to hunt properly. Instead he curled up in a hollowed out stump off the side of the path and tried to sleep.

     "Hey, sleepyhead, are we going to have a meeting or not?"

     Darkcloud rose slowly, almost wishing that they hadn't come now. "Hello, Scarlet. How many of your friends did you manage to bring?"

     "Nine," the dark red she-cat replied.

     Darkcloud was impressed. She had brought more than he had thought she would, but still not enough. But that could be dealt with later. He climbed up onto the edge of the stump.

     "Now would you like to introduce yourselves or do you want me to get straight to business?"

     A ginger tom stepped forward. "Let's just get to why we are here."

     Darkcloud smirked. "Fair enough. You, my friends, are here to take revenge."

     "Revenge for what?!" A silver she cat spat.

     "Your lack of food, and of territory."

     "We can't fight the twolegs! Are you mouse-brained?"

     "Since when did I say I was talking about twolegs?" He hissed softly.

     The silver she-cat tilted her head and became quiet.

     "I'm talking about those clan cats in the forest! Think about it! Think of how many times they have chased you away from the border, telling you that the mouse you chased first was their prey now that it was in their land. Think of how you have starved in the winter, forced to eat disgusting twoleg food scraps while the clan cats still feast upon fresh prey!"

     The rogues shuffled their paws, looking angry as they realized his words were true.

     "This is what I have to say! I say if we can get enough cats together, we can chase those cats right out of the forest! Then you will have it and the land near twolegplace. Think of how much prey you will have to hunt! Think of the kits that die of starvation here!"

     The cats were more riled up than ever. They hissed and spat and yowled as they thought of their kin who had died in twolegplace.

     "So, here is the question; will you rise up against the clan cats? Will you come together as one for this task? Will you avenge your fallen kin?!"