Chapter Four

Brookkit's last moon before her apprenticeship passed very quickly. She and Amberkit spent most of their time causing mischief, talking, or listening to one of Duskpelt's stories. In truth, the silver tabby was still not ready when Hawkstar called the clan together for a meeting.

"Cats of ThunderClan, it seems that it was only a few sunrises ago that snow and ice covered the land, and that Applefall's kit was born. Despite however it seems, it is indeed time for Brookkit to become an apprentice."

Brookkit felt a chill run through her as she gazed into Hawkstar's gold-green eyes.

"From this day forward, you shall be known as Brookpaw. Ravenfoot, I believe you are ready for your first apprentice. Be sure to pass on your stealth and quick-thinking."

Briefly, Brookpaw looked at Rabbitflight. He smirked a little at her, which translated into guess I'm not going to be your mentor, you silly furball. The white and orange splotched tom had become a warrior about half a moon ago after successfully dealing with a RiverClan patrol that had come over to Sunningrocks.

Then the silver tabby turned to Ravenfoot. He was a younger warrior like Rabbitflight, and was a reddish color like Amberkit, but had black legs, inspiring his warrior name. His eyes were a calculating green. Brookpaw knew barely anything about him, accept that he was quiet and somehow managed to avoid being seen despite his unusual markings. Why had Hawkstar chosen him to be her mentor? Despite her mind being crowded by all these thoughts, Brookpaw managed to step forward and touch noses with the reddish tom. He seemed remarkably calm about receiving his first apprentice, but his gentleness calmed her a bit. At least he didn't seem harsh.

     "Brookpaw!" The clan yowled her new name, then slowly began dispersing from the clearing

"Brookpaw!" The clan yowled her new name, then slowly began dispersing from the clearing. Applefall edged her way over to her daughter and gave her a lick between the ears. "Don't worry about Ravenfoot, young one. He's much more friendly once you get to know him."

Brookpaw's eyes widened. She had forgotten her mother had trained Ravenfoot. He had become a warrior shortly before Applefall had first expected kits. Once again the thought of her father crossed her mind, but she held herself back from saying anything. Any time she brought up the subject, her mother's mood seemed to darken and she was irritable for the rest of the day. By now Brookpaw had assumed he was either dead or had left for good.

Applefall flashed a proud glance in her direction, then padded off towards the elders den. No doubt she was going to gab to Duskpelt. Brookpaw felt the gaze of another cat upon her, and she turned to find Ravenfoot standing behind her.

"Come, I need to show you the territory," he stated quietly, then added, even more softly, "though I daresay you already know parts of it well from your explorations as a kit."

Brookpaw felt her pelt heat up in embarrassment, but her mentor failed to mention if he was kidding or not. So she replied, "I think I know the area around the stream pretty well."