Chapter Eight

A moon had passed since Fallingleaf had become a warrior, and since the ShadowClan kits had gone missing. During that time, Ravenfoot had trained Brookpaw hard, and there was hardly ever a day when she didn't come back to camp sore and tired. The reason behind this was simple; RiverClan had upped their antics around Sunningrocks, and Hawkstar has asked all the mentors to in turn train their apprentices thoroughly in the art of fighting.

     Brookpaw, although she knew it was necessary, didn't like it much. She could hardly teach Amberkit anything now because she was either busy, or too tired and sore to teach him well. The good thing was that he would be an apprentice soon, and would have a mentor, so he wouldn't be relying on her for something she couldn't always give. He seemed to understand though, and didn't say anything about it on the days Brookpaw felt like mouse dung.

     "Maybe tomorrow Ravenfoot will let up a bit," he'd mew, knowing that is was probably untrue. Ravenfoot was an easy-going cat for the most part, but when things got serious, he got down to business.

     "Not bad, but not good enough," he meowed as Brookpaw just failed to pin him down once more.

     She sighed, took a deep breath, and launched herself again, trying to swipe his legs from out under him

     She sighed, took a deep breath, and launched herself again, trying to swipe his legs from out under him. But Ravenfoot leaped out of the way, leaving her to land ungracefully in the dirt. This time, however, she did not stop to catch her breath. Turning quickly, she lunged again, but it was a trick. Her goal was to miss and take her mentor by surprise.

     While Ravenfoot was still leaping away, she launched at him in mid air, landing on his back. The red tom was unprepared, and stumbled slightly as he landed. Brookpaw took the opportunity to swipe his feet out from under him with her right forepaw and pinned him down on his side triumphantly.

     "Very good," Ravenfoot meowed, "But why did you pin me on my side?"

     "Because if I pinned you on your back, you could rake my stomach your claws more easily."

     Ravenfoot took a deep breath. "Good. Now let go."

     The session went on for the rest of the afternoon, and Brookpaw returned to camp with two finches she had caught afterwards. She brought them to the elders, who looked pleased.

     "With all you apprentices training for battle, we thought you'd start to neglect us," Twigtail meowed amusedly.

     Brookpaw purred, but it was half-hearted. "Of course we won't. Is there anything else I can do?"

     "Could you please fetch Duskpelt some mouse bile?" Shalefire asked. "She was complaining about a tick before she fell asleep. I'll get it off later, but it would be better to put the bile on it first."

     She nodded and exited the hollow log and made her way towards the medicine den. Aspenglow was inside, sorting herbs. Her light blue eyes met Brookpaw's as she entered the den.