Chapter Fourteen

Brookpaw woke early, still troubled by her dreams. Worriedly she looked over at Amberpaw, but he seemed fine, curled up comfortably in the nest. Letting out a small sigh of relief, she carefully stepped over Berrypaw and Leafpaw before exiting the den.

     No more snow had fallen, and strangely it felt rather humid out, but the sky was clear. Brookpaw fluffed up her fur anyway and looked around to see if Ravenfoot was up yet. She found the black-legged tom grooming himself near the warriors den. Besides for him and herself, Hawkstar was the only other cat out.

     Ravenfoot didn't even look up as she made her way over to him. He simply acted like she'd been here all along. "Nice day."

     "I believe you mean morning."

     "Whatever you want to call it." He began grooming his tail.

     "What are we doing today?"

     "Something special."

     Of course, he gave her no information on what the "special" thing was. Brookpaw gave him a dull look and meowed, "We're going to the Moonstone, aren't we?"

     At last Ravenfoot looked up at her. He was smirking. "Clever you. Go see if Aspenglow is up and ask her for some traveling herbs."

    "Is anyone else going with us?"

    "No."

    Fantastic, she thought, I get to be away from Berrypaw for a whole day! She did as her mentor asked and went to see if Aspenglow was up. She wasn't. The light brown tabby was curled up in her nest, sound asleep.

     Brookpaw sighed. Great. Aspenglow seemed like the type of cat that would be very grumpy in the morning, and she really didn't want to be the one to wake her up. Tentatively, she tapped the medicine cat on her shoulder.

     Aspenglow grumbled something, and slowly opened her green eyes. "What?" She snapped.

     "Sorry I had to wake you-"

     "Yeah, me too."

     Brookpaw paused. Was she really that grumpy or did Aspenglow have a sense of humor? The medicine cat's reaction didn't answer her question. She rose from her nest, stretched, and walked over to her store of herbs. "What do you need? Traveling herbs?"

     The silver tabby nodded, then realized Aspenglow had her back to her and hadn't seen her. "Yeah, how'd you know?"

     "Well," Aspenglow pushed two bundles of herbs towards her, "it's about time Ravenfoot takes you to the Moonstone. You're closer to being a warrior than you think."

     Brookpaw felt her pelt heat up in embarrassment. "Berrypaw and Leafpaw are much closer than me."

     Aspenglow smiled. It was one of the only times Brookpaw had ever seen her do so. "Perhaps Leafpaw is, yes."

     Did she just insult Berrypaw? She felt a smile of her own forming on her face as what Aspenglow had said registered in her mind.

     "The herbs will taste bitter, but they'll give you strength. You're going to need it. It's a long trek from here to the Highstones in leaf-bare."

     Brookpaw nodded and thanked the medicine cat, picking up the bundles gently with her teeth. Exiting the den, she made her way back over to Ravenfoot, who gave her a surprised look as she dropped his share of the herbs at his feet.

     "That was quick," he commented.

     "Not really."

     "Was Aspenglow up?"