Chapter Seven

Brookpaw had still found no sign nor scent of the kits when she reached the stream. "Jadekit! Gullkit!" She yowled, but there was never any reply.

Oh kits, where have you gone? Although these were ShadowClan kits, she still felt the pang of worry that her clanmates must have experienced the day she escaped from the camp.

She went over the area several times, even looking up the Owl Tree once. Surely I would have found something if they had been taken by an owl. Besides, owls are nocturnal. Her breath rose around her face like mist, and she shivered. Leaf-bare would be setting in soon, and this was no weather for young kits on adventures. They could die of cold!

"Kits!" She gave one more desperate cry. "Where are you?!"

Nothing but the sound of the wind blowing through the dying leaves that still clung to the treetops. Brookpaw cursed. Surely they haven't made it to Sunningrocks?

She might as well check it out. Following the stream, she came to where it flowed into the river. Thankfully the water was low, which meant there wouldn't be a lot of dangerous rapids. The place seemed deserted. Thin clouds were blocking out the sun, and the cold breeze was worse out here in the open. Brookpaw searched all around the rocks, but found nothing but her own scent when she recrossed her tracks.

I'll just have to check back with the others, she decided, and began heading back in the direction of the camp.

---

"What's going on?" Emberheart meowed as Rabbitflight bounded across the clearing towards her, not with his patrol, but with a ShadowClan cat she recognized as Wildwind. The small gray cat was out of breath, and Emberheart couldn't help but thinking his name didn't suit him very well.

"We found a patrol of ShadowClan cats when we were near the Thunderpath. They had crossed the border, but for once with a good reason," Rabbitflight meowed, his tail twitching.

Emberheart looked to Wildwind. "What's happened?"

     "Suncloud's kits, Jadekit and Gullkit, went missing

"Suncloud's kits, Jadekit and Gullkit, went missing. We scented them near your border, then we lost the scent. After that, we ran into your patrol."

A group of ThunderClan cats had gathered around them, listening curiously. Wildwind looked around, narrowing his eyes. "Excuse me for asking, but where's Hawkstar?"

Emberheart hesitated, and was about to answer when the ThunderClan leader padded over to the scene. Wildwind gave a gasp as he saw the tom's scarred eye. "What happened?!" He asked, eyes wide.

"Whatever happened is not of importance now," Hawkstar meowed, "We have kits to find. Where did the others go, Rabbitflight?"

"Jaysong went with Redface to Snakerocks, Brookpaw went to the stream, and Suncloud and Eaglepaw were left to look wherever they wanted."