Chapter Eighteen

There was an extremely tense and awkward silence after the black tabby exited the camp. Several of the clan cats were glancing from Hawkstar, to Applefall, and then to Brookpaw, unsure of what to do.

But the silver tabby didn't care. She herself was looking at her mother, desperately wanting to ask her how that vicious cat had become her father. But no words came. She was far too angry for that.

"What cats are the most wounded?" Came Aspenglow's stern meow, breaking the tense silence.

Stormclaw and Jaysong began pulling a familiar black and white tom over to the medicine cat, as gently as they could. Shalefire.

Upon seeing his father and former clan leader so wounded, Snowblaze ran over to help his sister and Stormclaw. His blue and yellow eyes were wide, and he shot Jaysong a look as if to say Is he dead?

Brookpaw felt a sick feeling began to churn in her stomach. Her father had caused all this. Her father. Would they all hate her now? Would they blame Applefall for all this? The apprentice's thoughts became more irrational by the second.

She felt someone place their tail on her shoulder, as if to comfort her. Brookpaw glanced around, and saw that it was Hawkstar. He stared at her with his green-gold eye, and involuntarily, she shivered.

"This isn't your fault, Brookpaw," he whispered solemnly. "This is the doing of myself and Darkcloud. I should've known better than to think he wouldn't plan revenge."

She blinked at him, grateful that he wasn't mad with her, but still wanting to know more about her father's history with ThunderClan.

"I still don't—" she began, but Hawkstar silenced her with a soft glare.

"Not now," he meowed. "Applefall should tell you in due time." He dipped his head to her and began walking over to the medicine den, where Aspenglow was desperately trying to treat Shalefire.

The silver tabby understood that the former leader's case was more important than her own, but deep in her heart she knew Applefall would still be reluctant to tell her anything. Her mother would still be too ashamed to explain, and Brookpaw knew in that instant that if she ever wanted to know anything about her father, it would have to be from another source. And why couldn't Hawkstar be that source? Didn't she have a right to know about her father, considering he'd inflicted harm upon her clanmates?

She felt something brush her side, and saw that Amberpaw had come over and sat next to her. Their eyes met, and Brookpaw couldn't help but to be grateful for his company. At least he wasn't judging her based on her father's actions. A few moments later, Rabbitflight padded over as well, taking a position near her other side. The tom had a gash upon his right cheek, reminding Brookpaw of the long gash the red she-cat had given her on her side. It stung like crazy, but she forced herself to ignore it. Other cats had gotten far worse injuries. They needed to be treated first. The silver tabby touched her tail to both of the toms' shoulders, silently thanking them for their support.

At long last Aspenglow emerged from the medicine den, her expression grim. "I can't save him," she meowed softly, yet it was so quiet in the camp that every cat heard her. "Any cat who wishes to state their final goodbyes, please come forward."

Several of the cats, including Brookpaw inched forward, but they all stopped to let Jaysong and Snowblaze through. All cats but Grasscloud and Hawkstar.

Hawkstar was understandable. He'd been deputy to Shalefire, and probably wished to get some final advice the former leader, and possibly thank him. But Grasscloud? Brookpaw had no idea why she wanted so desperately to see the black and white tom before he departed for StarClan. Nevertheless, Aspenglow let her through.