Untitled Part 11

"I really am still not happy with this, Young Master." Sebastian muttered as he accompanied Astre to the gardens of the Midford manor. To his knowledge, both Lizzie's parents were home but her father was likely to either be reading with a hot cup of tea or going through his elaborate and slightly effeminate wardrobe for the first time to the season to find out which articles to donate.  The dapper eccentric man never was seen in the same outfit twice after all. Her mother was more likely than not either sitting with her husband reading a book on combat or current events or touching up her fencing skills. Astre knew from a recent letter from Edward, her brother, that he would be abroad another month and was having a brilliant, lively time and for him to keep an eye on his darling sister. 'Much easier to do when said sister doesn't seem to have my demise on her Christmas list.' Astre mused bitterly to himself.

The visit would be kept formal and respectful. And if she tried anything, Sebastian had already decided what he would do to keep her grubby hands off of Astre.

Elizabeth was sitting alone in the garden when the two arrived. She was dressed in a dark blue dress with thick leggings, a fashionable hat, and modest makeup, light lipstick and mascara only. The only thing that was amiss about her ensemble was the fake smile plastered across her full pretty lips. Neither Astre nor Sebastian looked at each other so as to keep their suspicions to themselves.

"Ciel! I am so very glad you responded to my mail!" Elizabeth stood up, looking torn between wanting to hug him and wanting to keep propriety up. When he nodded and gave the appropriate response, "Of course, Elizabeth, how could I not after such a heartfelt apology?" She squeezed him tightly but released him just as quickly.

"Why don't you dismiss your butler, dear Ciel? I told Paula to go take off after she made our lemonade and sweets." She gestured at the large cart which was well stocked with all of Ciel's favorites, including but not limited to, chocolate cake, various strawberry and le leche parafaits, and even an apple turnover. Apples weren't even in season in this area right now, so he knew her family had spent a fortune. His mouth watered at the rare delicacy that even Sebastian sometimes struggled to procure.

Before the taller man's narrowed eyes and clenched fists resulted in harsh words, Astre cut in effectively. "You'll have to excuse my rudeness but for this visit, I'd prefer not to."

She bit her lip, pouting slightly but then it was gone. "That's fine, then. Whatever you are comfortable with, both of you, get whatever you'd like, I can always have her make more if need be. She's never too far out of my earshot after all." Lizzie laughed lightly and made light pleasant conversation for the next hour and a half. It was so light and pleasant and unassuming that Sebastian and Astre were almost lackadaisical in their memory of why they were actually here.

"I am sorry to cut the visit short, but I still have a lot to get done before I leave on the cruise."

"Ciel! Why can't I come with you again?" She whined and clutched his arm with her manicured nails possessively and winked at Sebastian. 'That little vixen.'

He gently pried her hand off of his arm, partly because it annoyed him and partially because she was digging into his fragile skin. "I explained this already.  It's for work and without giving away too much information, there are apt to be dangerous individuals present on the liner."

"And?" She raised a blonde eyebrow meaningfully.

"And it isn't worth the risk. You could jeopardize my mission but more importantly your safety if anything were to go wrong." Astre smiled, an action that though not directed at him, never failed now to cause Sebastian's heart to speed up.

Lizzie squealed and hugged him tightly around the neck. "You just always know what to say."

"One quick question before you go?" Lizzie asked, causing both men to imperceptibly tense.