Goose

Her eyes darted to the side where she heard someone mewing, her head followed. Slowly she crept over, bunched up against the cold. Her collar jingled in the wind as she approached the kit. A tiny thing really, they must be no more than half a moon old!

She glanced around, who's kit was this? She noticed they were shivering and curled up around him, pressing her head to his nose. "Poor thing..." she murmured, bringing her tail closer. Who would abandon a tiny kit like this? Especially when they could barely open their eyes! Let alone this kit who was freezing to death and probably starving.

She looked back to her twoleg nest, should she bring the kit there? Would her housefolk yell at her in their squeaky voices and kick the kit out? Or even worse, get rid of him? She shuttered, not wanting to take the chance.

Snow was piling up around them, the kit had stopped shivering now and was asleep in her paws. She grabbed the kit by their scruff and picked it up gently, stepping among piles of snow and wet grass. She felt herself beginning to shiver and knew she needed to find shelter soon. Or else they may both die. Her collar brushed against the kit and he mewled, his bright pink tongue sticking out.

I suppose ill need a name for you. She thought, making shelter under a few wood boxes left by two legs. It was warmer in there than outside, and there was no snow, although the storm picked up outside. "Little kit, what should i call you..." she knew he wouldn't reply, but she had nobody else to talk to, and nobody to hear her.

She noticed frost beginning to form on the kits nose and she brushed it off. "Frost..?" She liked that name very much.

"Frost it is." The kit mewed again, as if he were approving.

"Well you better like it because i left my life behind to take care of you!" She knew the kit couldn't understand her, and she wouldn't bring it up when he was older. And if he found out..

She shook the thoughts away, it didn't matter. The kit was safe and so was she, hey had a decent shelter under many wood boxes and nobody to worry about. They didn't have to have a care in the world.