A sign from starclan

Bristling with anxiousness, his fur stood on end, who would QuillStar choose to be the temporary deputy? Would it be temporary? He shook off the thought, he would be fine, this sickness couldn't last forever, surely he would get better eventually.

FrostedSnout had begged SwanFeather to let him out to watch the meeting, although she told him to keep a distance from the other cats, as she didn't know how contagious this illness was. As QuillStar called the meeting, cats slowly began making their way towards the clearing, murmuring to each other as they thought about the possibility of being seen as a loyal and good choice of being chosen as the temporary deputy.

QuillStar waited until everyone was quiet before letting her voice ring out among the camp, "I gather you all here today for an important meeting. I must choose a temporary deputy until FrostedSnout is well again, as they are to sick to properly perform their usual duties." She let her words sink in as more murmurs grew.

He felt a sharp pang of pain in his eye and had to hold back a yelp, gritting his teeth he rubbed his eye with a paw. SwanFeather had told him about the small black flecks that had embedded themselves in his eye, which were extremely painful at times. He even had a few specks of black skin showing where the fur had fallen out, revealing a indent of black skin with a texture like old, dead moss on his muzzle and behind his ears. It was quite uncomfortable and unpleasant.

"..But before I appoint a new temporary deputy, CaribuKit, step up." QuillStars words interrupted his thoughts and he looked up to see the kit step up with her fur fluffed up with excitement.

"CaribuKit, you have come of age and have reached 6 moons old. I now give you the name of Caribupaw, SwanFeather will be your mentor." SwanFeather stepped up, he hadn't even realized she was out of the medicine den until now. CaribuPaw looked startled as she touched noses with her mentor, glancing around with wide eyes.

"Do you promise to uphold the medicine cat code, and heal your clan mates until the day you join the ranks of starclan?" QuillStar continued.

After a moment of silence, he heard the shecats voice speak up, "I do."

"Then may Starclan approve of my decision." QuillStar dipped her head as she flicked her tail to dismiss the apprentice.

"CaribuPaw!" He heard BirdPaw chant, other apprentices joining him. He saw Caribupaw's ears flatten in embarrassment as the clan changed her new name, which eventually growing to a stop.

"Now that I have that out of the way, it's time to appoint a temporary deputy." A few murmurs grew audible as QuillStars icy gaze scoured the clearing of cats.

"HorseThroat," The leaders voice rang out through the clearing, her eyes narrowed on the warrior as he stepped up to meet her gaze. "You have proven your loyalty many times over. Because of this, I ask you to take the role of deputy until FrostedSnout has recovered. Do you accept?"

HorseThroat gazed around as many eyes met the warrior. "I accept, thank you QuillStar." The warrior meowed with a small dip of his head.

"Then you will take on deputy duties until you are demoted." She finished, flicking her ears. HorseThroat blinked in understanding.

"Meeting dismissed." The leader yowled, jumping down from the clan rock with a swift pounce as she headed over to him. He dipped his head as she approached, noticing the grim look in her eyes as she met his.

"Get well soon." She meowed shortly, turning as she headed to her den without another word. He felt weary, did his leader trust him anymore? Why did it seem as if she was trying to avoid him?

He looked up at silverpelt, where his ancestors now walked in the ranks of starclan. Would HorseThroat be the temporary deputy, or would the warrior take his place for good when he left to join the ranks of starclan?

He quickly shook away the thought, HorseThroat was a loyal and noble warrior, and deserved this. He was trustworthy.

Everyone who had been in the clearing was now heading to either their dens, or to guard the camp. He sighed and forced himself to his paws, feeling an aching feeling in his eyes. He lifted himself up and slowly but surely made his way into the medicine den, lying down on one of the many nests for the Ill warriors and queens. Surprisingly no apprentices or kits had caught the sickness, although one elder died from it a bit ago and was buried outside camp like most of the unfortunate cats who had given their lives to the clan.

He curled up in the nest, heaving a sigh as he tucked his nose under his tail, slowly drifting off to sleep.

He opened his eyes to find himself in a starry landscape, cats all around were hunting prey, their muscles bunching up and releasing as they pounced. One cat was staring at him, her ears folded on her head and her eyes shimmered with the familiar light that most cats here had. He quickly dipped his head as she approached.

"FrostedSnout." She meowed and touched her nose to his forehead before pulling back slowly. He blinked, recognizing the shape of PebbleStep. Did the exiled warrior die?

"I know you're worried, about the sickness in your clan." The starry warrior began. "But don't, you will not die because of this curse, only those who have done harm to those here in starclan, physically and mentally, will suffer fatally."

"Wait, what do you mean "curse?"" He asked with a startled expression, gazing into her sightless eyes. QuillStar had been mouse-brained to exile a blind cat.

"You will find out soon enough." She meowed, before turning and digging up a few mice and darting off.

"Wait!" He yowled after her, but it was too late and the starry warrior was already gone. "But why was I infected..?" He whispered to himself, he gazed around at the starry landscape, leaving him to sit alone in utter bewilderment and disbelief.