Chapter 2

"FATHER! FATHER!" I screamed with urgency as I raced into the kitchen, hoping that my father was there in his favorite spot by the fire.

"What is it my dear?" He asked calmly.

"Sir Guy of Gisbourne is here! He's outside!" I frantically screamed.

Instead of responding my father calmly shut the book he was reading and stood up. No sooner than he did, into the kitchen stormed Gisbourne.

"Sir William Bellflake I presume?" Gisbourne said calmly.

"Yes sir," my father replied composedly.

"I have been sent here by the Sheriff to discuss a matter," he paused as he glanced at me before continuing on, " that is very sensitive. May we speak in private sir?" he finished.

"Aye. Everybody out!" My father commanded as he motioned for Gisbourne to sit.

Being forced outside really made me angry. As I paced and fumed Gisbourne and my father talked so softly I couldn't make out what they were saying.

"Oi what are you standing there doing?" My mother called out.

"Mother!" I half whispered half shouted back.

"What? Eavesdropping is not very ladylike," she replied.

"Mother," I groaned.

Ever since I was old enough to talk my mother has insisted that I learn how to be a lady. Why is beyond me. Sure, my father is Sir. William Bellflake, but it's not like I'm of a very high status that would require me to be trained in ladylike fashions. I know my please and thank yous, how to be courteous but things like not running or getting my dress dirty is too much. But nonetheless mother insisted I learn to act and be ladylike.

Father on the other hand insisted I be taught how to ride a horse, wield a sword, shoot a bow and arrow, tracking, and how to appreciate and use nature for medicinal purposes. Ok well the nature part was my own doing. But father supported it, nonetheless.

"Are you listening to me?" My mother's voice penetrating my thoughts.

"Yes mother,"

"Melody, I'm serious!"

"And so am I."

"Melody come here please," I heard my father call out.

"Coming!" I hollered back as I broke into a run into the house, not missing my mother screaming at me that ladies do not run.

"Yes sir?" I asked as I flew into the kitchen, eager to find out what had been discussed.

"Ah here she is," my father indicated as he pointed towards me.

"Her?!" Gisbourne's face went white as a sheet.

"Yes her. This is my daugh... my charge, Melody," my father replied.

"Your charge? Father what are you talking about?"

"Well I suppose she'll have to do," Gisbourne growled as he looked me over head to toe.

"Have to do? Have to do what?" I replied frantically.

"Melody dear, it's time for you to leave your mother and I. Sir Gisbourne is here to take you to Nottingham," my father said.

"What?!" I screamed. As if on cue Gisbourne and my father both flinched.

"You must go with him," my father tried again.

"And if I refuse?"

"Then I will have to take you by force," Gisbourne interjected.

"Over my dead body!" I screamed as I rushed out the back door.

I ran as fast as I could and was doing pretty well until I heard the heavy steps of Gisbourne right behind me. I changed my course left but he continued to pursue. I really didn't know where I was going to run to. Eventually I hit the edge of the woods and gave up. I mean where was I going to go?

I heard Gisbourne's steps slow as he got closer to me. I whirled around quickly hoping maybe I could fight my way out of this one.

"You sure run fast" he panted through tried breaths.

"Not so bad yourself," I replied still plotting in my head what to do.

"Now little girl fun time is over. I need you to come with me now," he said still panting lightly.

"Little girl?!" I shouted into his face.

He smirked but did not reply.

"I am not a little..." I stopped realizing that the fit I was having was very childish.

"Come," he demanded more gently as he extended his hand to me.

I hesitated but took his hand and allowed him to escort me back to my house.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After more protesting and my mother in between sobs reminding me to act like a lady, I was finally on the road to Nottingham with Gisbourne and his men. Everyone continued to not answer my question of why I had to go to Nottingham, and I continued to think up ways to escape this terrible fate. After all anyone being summoned to Nottingham is very likely to be executed on site.