Chapter 24

We split off into pairs to find Gisbourne. I was paired with Will. I watched as the other group peeled off and went about the task of finding Gisbourne. The agreement was whether we found him or not, all were to return to the camp before dark.

After everyone had gone I looked at Will who was looking right down at me. I pulled my eyes away quickly in fear that he would see me blush. Once I got a grip of myself I forced myself to look at him once more. His stare had not moved and he smiled at me.

"Where to?" He asked gently.

"I don't know," I replied.

"Well let's go that way," he pointed towards the direction of the waterfall.

My face lit up and I eagerly nodded my head. I turned to go, but felt his hand clasp mine and pull me towards him. I clumsily stumbled, falling into him. He was adamant and did not waver a bit. Instead he let me crash against him and before I could recover stole a quick kiss.

My face burned up and I desperately didn't want him to see so I buried my face in his chest. I felt his arms wrap protectively around me and he softly stroked my hair.

His scent soothed me further and I soon forgot about everything going on outside. He pulled away and as much as I wanted to pull him back, I let him go and looked up to find him grinning ear to ear.

"Let's go," he whispered as he still held my hand in his and escorted me in the direction of the waterfall.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As we stumbled along the downhill path covered in tree roots, Will began to hum a tune.

His deep scruffy sound carried through the air, landing on my ears. It was pleasant and very relaxing. I smiled at him and he smiled back, his hums unwavering.

A nearby twig snapped and the sound of footsteps on crunching leaves silenced Will's humming and we both stealthily his ourselves behind a tree.

We waited, our hearts beating, was it another mercenary? Will's hand was on his sword and mine was on my bow. I had drawn an arrow clutched both tightly, ready to fire.

Will cautiously popped his head out from behind the tree and upon seeing nothing brought it back.

"Nothing," he whispered.

I relaxed a little but was still highly alert. We heard more crunching footsteps and waited. I peeked out from behind the tree and ducked back just in time as an arrow whooshed passed me and hit the tree.

My eyes grew wide and drew my bow and arrow and fired at the archer mercenary.

He fell instantly and I whipped myself back behind the tree.

"I think we found the mercenaries," I half whispered, half yelled to Will who was nodding in agreement.

"Now what?" I asked, not so calmly.

"We get out of here," Will replied as he drew his sword in one hand and took my hand in the other.

We swiftly and as silently as we could slipped away from the area and back into the deep cover of the woods.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Arrows whizzed passed our heads as we ran from tree to tree. my heart pounded but on we ran for our lives.

The shouts of the ruthless mercenaries chased us and we ran until we suddenly found ourselves surrounded by hundreds of mercenaries.

We both tightly gripped out weapons, ready to kill anything that got near. I calmed my breathing and with my bow drawn aimed at anything that tried to approach.

We were in deep trouble.

"I love you," Will said softly as we stood back to back.

"I love you too, William Scarlett," I replied.

I felt tears threaten to pour but brushed them off and tried to focus on the task at hand, kill as many of these bastards as possible and hopefully live to tell the tale.