Chapter 19

My heart stopped as I realized why my heart was hurting so much. I felt rejected by Will, but more importantly, I was in love with William Scarlett, but he did not love me back.

As much as I wanted to cry I knew that I could not. We had just arrived in the outlaw's camp and for me to cry would show me in a state of weakness, something I did not want the other's to see if I was to gain their trust. I slowly followed Will into the outlaws' camp. The familiar concealed tree houses creaked above us, and the crackling of the fire beckoned for us to come closer. Crowded around the fire were Robin and his men. When they saw us approaching Little John practically strangled Will as he welcomed him back.

"Where have you been lad?! What happened to you?" Little John asked as he shook Will. 

"Men attacked us. She saved my life," Will said as he pointed to me.

I suddenly felt all eyes on me and tried to distract the attention from me.

"I didn't really do much, in fact, Gisbourne saved us."

"No she killed the leader and stood bravely against them even though she was outnumbered, three to one," Will tried again.

"I..."

"I guess I judged you wrong missy. Accept my hand as a peace offering," Little John said as he extended his hand for me to shake. 

I hesitantly took it and felt my whole arm shake up and down. Once John had finished shaking my hand, Robin came over and took Will aside to speak with him, leaving me standing alone at the edge of the camp. 

"Melody," Robin called out, distracting me from my spacing out.

"Yes?"

"How would you like to be one of the gang?" Robin asked.

My eyes went wide and I couldn't help smiling. 

"I would love to!" I screamed out excitedly before I could stop myself.

"Alright then, Welcome," Robin said as he gestured for me to come over to where everyone else was.

"Thank you. Thank you so much!"

Robin laughed at me as I took a seat next to Will who was playing with his wrappings around his ankle.

"Hey, stop that!" I gently snapped.

"What?"

"Don't mess with that! If you want it to heal you have to leave it like that," I replied.

Will rolled his eyes at me and stuck out his tongue. Unsure of how to respond I found myself sticking my tongue right back out at him. How childish, I thought to myself. 

After everyone had eaten and had time to chat, Robin stood up and began to make an announcement. All fell silent and listened.

"Melody, welcome to our gang. I must inform you that I have a special task in mind, that will require you to go back to Nottingham castle. Should you choose to accept, you will be able to greatly help us. I will not however, force you to do anything you don't want to do. OK?" Robin said.

"I'll do it," I replied, knowing that there wasn't much for me to do here in Sherwood Forrest. Besides, as long as I was still with Robin and his men, the Sheriff would come after me to get me back. 

"Good, then I need you to be our eyes and ears in Nottingham castle. Can you do that?" Robin asked me.

"Be a spy?" I asked, feeling excitement build up inside of me.

"Yes."

I glanced briefly at Will who was looking at the ground. 

"I'll do it," I replied. No sooner than I had, Will got up and limbed over towards the hanging rope ladder.

"What's gotten into him?" I heard Alan ask Little John. Little John shrugged and followed after him. Everyone began to disburse leaving Robin and I alone in front of the fire.

"It'll be dangerous," Robin said gently.

"I know. But I don't care," I replied, not taking my eyes off of the fire. 

"Alright, it's settled then. Tomorrow morning you'll leave for Nottingham. Tell them whatever you have to about your escape. Now about Gisbourne, what does he know?"

"Nothing. He was delusional when we found him. He was poisoned by a mushroom that causes hallucinations and memory loss," I replied.

"Good. Then you should be safe. Good luck. I'll see you tomorrow, you should get some rest. You can sleep on my platform if you like," Robin offered as he gestured towards the rope ladder.

"It's alright. Thanks though," I replied as I left Robin standing by the fire, ready to take his turn at watch. 

I scampered up the ladder and towards Will's platform where I found him leaning against the tree with his eyes wide open. He turned his head to face me and then back again out into the night sky.

"Will, can we talk?"

"What's there to talk about? You're leaving," he replied coldly.

"I, I thought you didn't want me around. Why do you sound mad?"

"Mad? I'm not mad."

"Then what are you?" I asked, disappointed that he hadn't denied that he didn't want me around. 

"Just leave me be," he said as he turned away from me completely.

I felt my heart sink once more but obeyed his wish. I went over a bridge and through a hole in a tree to Robin's platform. I curled up into a ball under a fur blanket and cried myself to sleep as I thought of the dreaded tomorrow I was to face alone.