Chapter 27

"OK, everybody understand what they're doing?" Robin asked, as we finalized Will's plan.

We all nodded, even though this plan was obviously flawed. I mean really, lure groups of them into different caves and lock them in, what kind of a crazy idea is that?

"There is another option," I offered.

All heads turned to me. I gulped as I prepared to lay out my idea.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Robin this is insane! You can't do this!" Little John protested.

"We don't have much of a choice John," Robin replied, as he grabbed his bow.

"But challenging their leader to a fight to the death?" John tried once more.

"Look, I've read about them. If Robin kills their leader in a duel, he becomes the new Chieftain.," I chimed in.

"Like hell he does!" John screamed.

"And if he becomes their chieftain then he controls them," I finished.

"I still think this is crazy," said John.

"It'll be alright John," Robin tried to reassure. "Let's go."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was fairly easy to find the mercenaries camp. We found them within minutes and Robin approached with me and John by his side. The others hid in the brush, bows drawn and ready.

"We come in peace," I said to them.

"What business do you have here?" One of them replied, his voice as rough as sandpaper.

"Our leader wants to challenge yours to a duel to the death," I replied as boldly as I could.

The massive man in front of me laughed in my face, his breath reeked of old meat and booze.

"Challenge our leader eh? To the death?" He laughed some more.

"The laws of your people say that a challenge must be accepted, or your leader is a coward who does not deserve his seat," I replied coolly.

"So, it does. Smart girl. Well, Chief Mantla accepts your little chief's challenge. What rules would you like to lay down?"

I turned to Robin, "They want to know what rules you want."

"Rules? A clean fight, no tricks. And should I die, no harm is to come to any of you" Robin replied.

I relayed the message and the barbarian before me laughed some more but agreed to Robin's terms. Well mostly, the part about no harm comes to us wasn't guaranteed, but Robin didn't need to know that.

Negotiations were finished quickly, and the beating of shields rang out. We all turned our heads to see the Chieftain emerging from his tent. He was fully armed and ready to go. His men egged him on and shouted and hammered their shields in support.

The Chieftain had a shield and a mace. I felt Robin nudge me and looked at him.

"Well this is going to be fun," he whispered to me.

"Robin," I started.

"If anything happens to me, I want you and John to get the others out of here safely. I don't trust them to keep their word."

"We're not going anywhere. This is going to be a clean fight.

"Melody, promise me you will all get out of here," Robin insisted.

"If things go south, I promise."

"Good."

"John, it was nice knowing you," Robin said as he patted John on the back.