Chapter 26

On and on and on we fought under the sunlight leaves of the forest. I began to grow tired once more and my sword became especially heavy. I looked around to find everyone else still fighting away.

I glanced for even a quick peek of Will but was interrupted by a sword coming at me. I parried the blow and took the brief moment of open space to run the monstrous man through.

Blood stained my blade and I felt a pang of sadness and bitter contempt in my heart but reminded myself that I had no choice in the matter.

At last I heard Robin scream the one word I was waiting for, retreat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
One by one I watched as Robin's men dashed away into the thick cover of the forest and confused or pissed or a combination of both, mercenaries charged after us.

I stopped ogling the sight before me and dashed off, hoping that Will was alive and safe and that I would soon be back with him.

Two of the barbarous men followed me in hot pursuit. I cursed under my breath but kept my burning legs running deeper into the wood.

Branches and brambles struck my face as I tore onward. Leaves were whipped up beneath my sprinting feet. My heart pounded madly in my chest and my breath was hoarse and almost to the point of nonexistent.

At last the sound of their footsteps ceased and I allowed myself to look backwards to find they had given up.

Before I knew it I was face first on the ground. I rolled over onto my back and rubbed my nose.

"Ow" I said aloud, but no one was around to hear.

I slowly stood myself up and found the world to be spinning ever so slightly.

I squinted my eyes and shut them tightly and reopened them to find that everything was alright, the world was not spinning.

I regained myself and headed back in the direction of the campsite. At last as the sun began to set in the sky I had managed to find my way back.

Everyone was already there and before I could react I felt myself being pressed tightly into a man's chest. His arms were tightly wrapped around me and his heart was pounding wildly from worry.

When he finally let go long enough for me to breathe I managed to look him over before having the life squeezed out of me once more.

"I thought I'd lost you," Will cried softly into the top of my head.

"You're hurt," I said, thinking about the nasty oozing gash on his arm.

"It's nothing," he replied calmly.

I suddenly became aware that everyone, including Gisbourne was staring right at us.

"Um Will," I tried, but his grip would not give.

"Will?"

No answer.

"Will!" I said with a little more force.

His grip loosened but only enough for me to pull my head back and look up into his face. His handsome dirt stained face.

I was lost for a moment staring into his deep brown eyes but shook it off and moved my eyes towards everyone staring at us.

Will seemed to suddenly come back down to earth and promptly let me go.

"Well if you two are quite finished, I would like to discuss a little issue we have here," Gisbourne growled.

"What issue?" I replied.

"How about the fact we are being hunted by ruthless mercenaries, you princess are in the arms of an outlaw, and we are both stuck in Sherwood!" Gisbourne said seriously.

In spite of myself I broke out into a complete and utter laughing fit.

"I am not sure what you find about all of this to be so humorous," Gisbourne said darkly as he narrowed his black eyes at me.

"You," I replied in between laughs.

"What about me?" He asked, raising an eyebrow.

"HOW CAN YOU WORRY ABOUT BEING STUCK IN SHERWOOD OR WHOSE ARMS I AM IN? WE ARE BEING HUNTED BY MERCENARIES THAT THE SHERIFF, YOUR BOSS, HIRED!" I shouted into Gisbourne's un-expecting face.

He remained shocked silent and just stared at me with his mouth open but no words came out.

"Well what's the plan? What are we doing about these idiot men with swords running through the forest?" I asked, turning to look at everyone in the group who were all just staring at me.

"We are obviously out numbered so we need to fix that," Robin said, as he stepped to stand next to me.

"I don't want to kill any more than I have to," I said.

"None of us do," Robin said reassuringly to me.

"So we need a plan that involves as little loss of life," I replied.

"And I have just the idea," Will chimed in as he drew near.

"Let's hear it then," Robin said, a devilish smile appearing on his lips.