Chapter 32

"Everybody understand the plan?" Robin asked once more.

We all nodded our heads and began our journey to Nottingham. I felt a sick feeling in my gut but pushed it down. As we walked along the edges of the road, we suddenly heard horse hooves pounding behind us.

"Riders," Nasir said.

Robin motioned for us to split in half and hide along each side of the road. Will, John, Nasir and I hid on one side while Robin, Much, Tuck, and Allan hid along the other. It was the Sheriff obviously returning from somewhere important. He had a small guard of about twenty men. They were circled around an elaborately carved covered carriage. I caught a glimpse of a young woman inside. We remained hidden a good while after they had passed, just to ensure there were no stragglers waiting for us. Robin finally motioned for us to come out of hiding. We continued our walk, baffled by the strange precession.

Will and I joked along the way, winning teasing remarks from others. I began to poke fun at Allan who at first was offended, but quickly laughed it off. We all merrily continued to make our way towards Nottingham.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We finally arrived and Robin bribed the guards at the east gate to let us through, promising them more coin when we leave. Being greedy, they accepted the bribe and wanting more agreed to not give us away. Hoods up and heads down we proceeded to the market to make deliveries and pick up needed supplies. Robin also planned to catch some word of Marion.

Will and I walked to the normal stops and handed each home a small pouch of coins. They thanked us profusely and we were given many blessings. At one of our usual stops, I found the mother crying. She told me that their daughter, Anna, was very sick. I asked if I could see her. I was led to a small room where the little girl laid. Her face pale as her sheet and sweat covering her face. Her eyes were closed, but she struggled to open them upon hearing me enter the room.

"No, no dear. Rest. It's okay," I told her, as soothingly as possible.

"What ails her?" Will asked the mother.

"We don't know master Will. We don't know," the mother cried.

Will held the mother and patted her back. I turned my attention back to Anna. I felt her forehead, she was burning up. I continued to study her symptoms and took my pack off.

"I need boiling water please, and rags, and some herbs. We have to get her fever down. If I can kill her fever, she will have a fighting chance."

Anna's mother began scurrying around gathering the supplies I needed. Will gave her some extra coin and she went to the market to fetch me some herbs on my list that she did not have in the house. While she was gone I applied hot rags to Anna's forehead.

"I thought you were supposed to bring her fever down?" Will asked, pouring more boiling and cold water into the basin beside me.

"I am. If we use cold water we risk bringing her body temperature low too fast. She could go into shock." I replied, dipping the rag into the lukewarm water.

"Can I do anything else to help?" he asked, placing his hand on my shoulder.

"Hold this rag to her head while I begin mixing the draught?"

He nodded and took over applying wet rags to Anna's head. I began to mix what I had and hoped that Anna's mother would return shortly with the missing herbs. I began to hum softly as I worked. The mother returned and I added the final ingredients. She watched nervously as I applied it to her daughter's lips. Anna licked it off and made a face of disgust.

"I am sorry it doesn't taste better, but it should help bring your fever down the rest of the way."

Anna opened her eyes fully and looked at her mother. "Mama?"

"Yes, mama's here," her mother responded, moving closer.

I stood up so her mom could sit by her side. She took Anna's hand into hers and smiled. She looked to me and mouthed a thank you. I gave her the instructions to apply the draught to Anna's lips three times a day until it's gone. She nodded understanding and thanked us again. I dunked my hands in hot water and scrubbed. We then gathered our things, put our hoods back up, and left the house to continue our rounds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The rest of our deliveries went without a hitch and we managed to finish them on time despite being held up. We headed to the meeting spot and found Allan, John, Much, and Nasir waiting there. But no Tuck, and no Robin.

"Where are they?" John asked, worry in his voice.

"Maybe they just got held up," I offered, remembering Anna.

We all stood there waiting a bit longer. John began to grow restless and went off to look for them. We all waited for him to return, getting nervous that we looked suspicious standing in the alley this long. John returned with Tuck, both of their faces white as sheets.

"What happened?" Allan asked, panicked.

"We were making our rounds. Then Robin slipped off without me noticing. I went looking for him. I overheard some guards talking about how Gisbourne had captured Robin Hood and planned to hang him this afternoon," Tuck eventually managed to get out.

We all stood there wide-eyed and in great denial and disbelief.

"Surely it's a trap!" Much kept pleading, as if it would become true.

"We have to go see," John said.

"It's too dangerous," Allan replied.

"We can't just leave him to die!" John yelled.

"That isn't what I was saying," Allan shot back.

"It sure sounded like it," John fired.

"Are you calling me a coward?" Allan responded.

"I never said anything of the such!"

"You're implying it!"

"STOP IT!" I yelled, getting in between the two of them. "Fighting isn't going to save Robin."

John and Allan backed off each other and glared from their respective sides. After some more debating we decided to all sneak into the courtyard to see if it was true. A plan was devised and we snuck our way there, which wasn't very hard as a great crowd had amassed to watch the hanging of the great Robin Hood.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We arrived at the hanging square and peered around desperately looking for any sign of Robin. I spotted my father, the Sheriff, Gisbourne, and Marion standing on the stairs awaiting the execution. Marion spotted me and made eye contact. She gave me a sad nod, and my heart sank, realizing it was indeed Robin they had. I tried to offer her comfort and that a rescue was going to be made, but she looked away from me. Gisbourne whispered something in her ear and I could see that it was taking everything she had in her to not drop him to the ground right there.

I whispered to Will that Marion confirmed it was Robin. He looked at me sadly, gave me a kiss, and began to disperse the information to the others. I waited and watched, prepared to do my part to free Robin. I just hoped that my father would play his part as planned.