The choking air of emotions

The hunters shoved us into the cage. With a clatter I hit the floor and pain exploded in my leg. The others kinda just stood there in sore shock. Emotion seemed to be numb in this place of death and loss of hope. Damp streams of tears streaked down my cheeks. I lifted my head to check on them.

They just stood there... I looked over to Snotlout in fear. Did I do something wrong? He seemed equally confused.

Then someone did something, Finally. Ruffnut stepped forward and crouched down to help me back against the wall. After setting me down she grabbed the cloth blanket and ripped a shred of ribbon off of it.

"Is anyone going to help?" She hissed. Then as though a machine, rushing to life, Tuffnut and Fishlegs came forward to help. Tuffnut held my leg while Ruffnut tied the ribbon just above the arrow wound. Fishlegs handed Ruff the 2nd streak of cloth and she gave a small nod. Her eyes briefly flickered to the others and I followed her gaze.

Hiccup stood still, in shock, his eyes glazed over like a dead fish. Astrid stood fridged an arm length away from him, her hand clutched at her other arm so hard the skin turned a pale white. Fizzles of emotion darted between them, making the energy hot with negativity. I could feel how it affected everyone else, their emotions all muddled and tainted.

A scorching bolt of pain rode up my leg, I toppled over but Tuffnut caught me, holding me up carefully. My head reeled and all I could make out was Ruffnut holding the broken arrow up, blood dripping down the tip onto her hands. Fishlegs sat back, the cloth tightly tied around my wound. I leaned back, using the wall to hold up my pounding head. Tuffnut still hovered over me, his touch a gentle anchor to the world around me.

When I opened my eyes, Snotlout was next to me. Sitting and watching the others quietly, he seemed smaller at the moment. His energy quiet and drowned out, and he hunched over his body.

The others turned back to each other, the emotions still hung in the air like poisoned honey. I scooted towards Snotlout, though he didn't look up. I took his hand in mine, now he did, his eyes flashed with fear. Sparkles of tears came up in the corners of his eyes, he blinked them away quickly.

"I'm so sorry! I shouldn't have let you get hurt." He rubbed my hand with his thumb. "I should have saw the arrow coming and-"

I cut him off.

"No. No you couldn't have. It's not your fault, I don't blame you." I gave his hand a squeeze and he looked infinitely relieved.

"What is the plan?" Inquired Fishlegs.

"I-" Hiccup looked around at his group. His eyes lingering on Astrid.

Viggo cleared his throat, hunters either side of him. Everyone turned to look at him.

"I've come for Astra." He made direct eye contact with Hiccup for just a second too long to be comfortable. My muscles tensed.

"She is staying with us." A breath of relief, but was it just me or did Astrid flinch?

"No." His voice was flat and dull. "Hiccup. She's not." He snickered, a grin snaking up his face.

The bars to the cage flew open and guards rushed in. My eyes widened in fear. Everyone else tensed, but was shoved aside.

He squeezed my hand, hard. I forgot he was there.

"Touch her and I break your neck." Snotlout suddenly growled, eyes on Viggo.

He waved a dismissive hand, that may have been a cue or order because the men grabbed my shoulders and dragged me away. Our hands slipped out of each other, no one noticed. There was a loud clatter of the bars behind me.