Chapter 2 - I Take It Back

[Jessica's POV]

Just as she promised or somewhat like that, she did ignore me throughout the whole day. I was walking down the hallway since it was dismissal already. I bumped a few people. 

"LET ME THROUGH!" there was a whole lot of crowd. I don't even know when did this school got so many students already. I rolled my eyes when a nerd said sorry to me. 

I promise you, I never actually wanted to be this way. To be this kind of person. But I had to defend my title since I'm both popular and mean at the same time. Students know me from that.

Soon enough, I saw my ride and got in. "You ready, Miss Jessie?" our driver said. 

"No. I'm not ready yet. I'm still sitting here with my own thoughts. Nothing else" I said sarcastically. He groaned with annoyance and started driving. Okay, maybe I'm rude and mean to everybody around here. 

And like I said, I never wanted to be like that. I was just raised, like that. Not like my family was rude to me so I had to be rude and mean too. It's because I already adapted in my school since the first day I cussed to a teacher scolding at me.

Finally, we reached home. I hopped out the car without saying another word to him. I entered the house. "I'm home!". 

"Hello dear, how's school?" mom greeted me while she kissed my forehead. 

"It's fine. But there's only one problem. Mrs. Johnson let me switched seats. I was hoping it to be another cool and popular person who's fun to be with like my former seatmates. But then I realized it was the school's smartypants. She's sooooo quiet and I can't help but urgh. She intimidates me with her boring amber eyes. I mean seriously mom, she had this weird blank expression like she's so bored with me. I can't take it." I said in one breathe. That was actually a hard thing to say... in one breath. My mom nodded an 'oh I see'.

I love how my mom is always listening to my stories every single day. She knew about me being popular, rude, and mean, but she doesn't mind at all as long as I'm happy. 

"Well, at least you survived, Jessica. We couldn't help with that. Besides, maybe Mrs. Johnson's right to put you in that seat. You have to behave sometimes, dear. Someday you'll get used to it, okay?" she said with concern. I also love how she's very open-minded to me. Even though she's already not siding with me, she still made it sound so calming and correct. 

Maybe I do need a little discipline. Well duh, how could I suppose to be noisy when my one and only seatmate is quiet af. Yeah, she's my only seatmate. Since our class was perfectly 30, there were two other transfer students that made the seating arrangement uneven.  I nodded to my mom and went straight to my room. And as soon as I know it, I was done with my homeworks and everything else. I changed into my PJ's and went to bed.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Alarm rang.

I groaned like an elephant because another day, another school. And another school, another boring class. Speaking of boring, being Laura's seatmate seems so unreal. So unreal that it hurts 'cause it's true. I walked downstairs. 

"Good morning, Jessica" mom greeted me. 

"Good morning, shorty" of course, the monster greeted me also. We ate breakfast. I took a shower, and gone to school. I wonder what will happen.

-

Same old. Being so annoyed at people keep bumping at me. I entered the classroom and sat next to... ugh, Laura. She's still ignoring me though. I'm glad about that, at least. Mrs. Johnson walked in. She smirked at me as if she was saying 'torture, right? you need it'. I rolled my eyes at her. Her smirk became a furious frown. I chuckled a bit. 

"So stupid. I can survive here" I muttered to myself. I think Laura heard that but it seemed like she didn't care anyways.

"Alright class, we have an activity for today." Mrs. Johnson started. I always loved activities since it's homeroom anyways. When I looked back at Mrs. Johnson, she smirked a little and raised both of her eyebrows twice. "It would be by seatmate partners".

As soon as I heard her say that, I couldn't help but smacked my head on my desk. Laura? I'm going to be paired up with Laura? Laura just stared at me in confusion. Finally, an expression. I gave a 'what are you looking at?' look at her. And of course, she continued reading her book. Seriously, she's so self-reserved. We began with the activity. It's just trivia about our past lessons. Since we are paired up, if one of us answers one particular question, we get a point. 

Me and Laura already got 5 points so far, but what the heck, I was the one doing all the answering! She haven't said any single word on this recitation nor to me! And wow, she's a top student, huh? I can't contain my anger to her, I mean we're losing here!

8 points so far. Still me being the one to recite as she blankly stares at the white board. "Okay class, this is the last question, it's worth 5 points and whoever got the highest point is exempted for the next exam" Mrs. Johnson said. 

My eyes widened in excitement. I was so ready for this. And my partner? I don't even want to know anymore. Mrs. Johnson asked "It's just like an essay. Why do you think we're in the school? Why are we studying? Why are we wasting our 8 hour everyday lives for this? In your opinion. Go". Everybody went silent. Even me.

Surely, it's because we have to learn. But since it's Mrs. Johnson, she needed something a little more deeper. Some students looked at me like 'really? Your partner is a braniac, so why isn't she talking?'. I can't hold on. 

"HEY! Stop staring to space and just freaking answer already, damnit! I thought you're smart? What? Are you a fake or something? Say something!!!" I whispered loudly so she could hear. All she said was 

"Then take it back". 

Now what the hell is she talking about? Then I suddenly realized those words.

"Don't touch me, don't talk to me, don't do anything that would make me piss off!"

She looked at me like she was both waiting for my answer and a sad look. Suddenly, I felt so bad for her. I looked down the floor and closed my eyes, not even wanting to cry when I kept looking at her. 

"I take it back." I finally said. 

And then she smiled and raised her hand. I never knew she was so beautiful when she smiled. Wait, what am I saying? Laura was saying words so deep that Adele could roll in it. I'm actually surprised by all words she was saying that I can't even understand. Her answer really sounded smart. 

Next thing I knew, we were told that we're exempted at the next exam. I smiled with delight. Laura did too. When I looked at her, I caught her looking at me. She smiled. 

Wow. What? Stop it. 

"That was incredible, Laura!" I started. "It's okay" her smile faded a little and smiled on the floor and went out for recess, not saying another word.

It was dismissal already. Laura was about to walk out of the room. I stopped her. I just think that I owe her something. She stopped and looked at me. 

"I just want to say sorry for the way I acted at you yesterday. And really, thank you for earlier. You saved us" I said. She smirked and looked at the floor. 

She said "See? You really can apologize and be grateful." she continued when she looked at me "Sometimes, you got to think before you speak. Do that to other people and other people would think differently about you now. Goodbye". 

She kept smiling and walked out of the school, probably going home. My mouth was still open by what she said. Her words hit me so hard, it hurts. I hate to admit it, but she's right. She's totally right.

By that, I knew I should change. I never wanted to be mean anyway in the first place. I closed my eyes and smiled. I muttered, "This girl".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sup guys! This is the second chapter. Hope you enjoyed it! I'm trying so hard to make it long though but i just couldn't do it, so I'm sorry for that. I'll try anyway to please you all. The contents that I put in this story, it's just whatever comes to my mind first. Yes, I have inspiration. Haha. Love you all :) I'll update Chapter 3 soon.