Chapter 11

Becky's POV

The night was serene, the sky adorned with stars that cast a gentle glow on the vast ocean. I had decided to wander the highest deck of the yacht, the soft fabric of my nightgown rustling with each step. In one hand, I held a bottle of champagne, a subtle indulgence for a moment of solitude.

As I gazed out at the expanse before me, a memory from my childhood floated to the surface, unbidden. I was ten years old, riding horses with my father. The wind tousled our hair as we shared a rare moment of companionship.

"There's one principle in life that I believe in," my father had said, his voice carrying a hint of wisdom. 

"The things you know will pay you, and the things you don't know will cost you. That's why cheaters never win."

I had looked up at him with wide eyes, eager to understand this new piece of wisdom. 

"What do you mean, Daddy?"

He had chuckled, his gaze softening as he looked at me. 

"Well, Becky, knowledge is power. The more you know, the better equipped you are to make the right decisions. And cheating, well, that's just a shortcut that eventually catches up with you."

I had nodded, the words sinking in as we continued our ride. 

"Daddy, I want to be just like you when I grow up. A successful entrepreneur."

He had laughed heartily, ruffling my hair affectionately. 

"Your brother said the same thing. Hope you won't kill each other for the position because I will be so upset."

But that memory was like a fragile bubble that burst into a thousand shards, replaced by a bitter flashback that had shattered our bond and forever changed the course of our relationship.

End of Flashback

The champagne bottle clinked softly against the glass as I poured myself a drink, lost in my thoughts. However, my solitude was short-lived as Freen appeared beside me, a glass in one hand and another bottle in the other.

"Two bottles, two glasses, and two wasted girls for tonight, eh?" Freen quipped, her tone light and teasing.

I smiled despite myself, the tension in my chest easing as Freen's presence washed over me. 

"Seems that way. Needed a moment away from the crowd."

Freen raised her glass in a mock toast. 

"To escaping the madness, then."

As I took a sip, Freen leaned against the railing, her gaze fixed on the stars above. 

"You know, I honestly miss college more than high school."

Surprised by her comment, I turned to her. 

"Really? Why is that?"

Freen's expression grew contemplative, her eyes reflecting the depths of her thoughts. 

"In college, you start to see the world differently. You're not confined by the small circles of high school. You get a glimpse of what real life is like – love, friendship, betrayal."

Her last word hung in the air, carrying a weight that made me pause. 

"Betrayal?"

Freen chuckled wryly, her fingers tracing the rim of her glass.