Insomnia v2

Twelfth grade has started for 17 year old Ludwig von Koopa, the oldest of his 8 siblings. All senior students have known this year to be their hardest year in high school due to the many exams and finals they needed to study on to get into their university or college of their choice. Ludwig was quite nervous. Very much so after his 11th grade report card.

It was the last day of school. Ludwig returned to his room, and opened up an envelope containing his report card. He felt a little sick when he saw his grades. They had dropped slightly from A+ to As and Bs. That didn't make any sense because Ludwig has a surprising IQ of 300; making him the smartest koopaling in his class.

Ludwig then felt terror as a scenario popped into his head. He pictured entering his father's room nervously. He seemed to be watching TV as usual.

His father is King Bowser Koopa, and he used to always plan to kidnap Princess Peach and marry her so his kids can have a mother. Although Ludwig usually addresses her as "Princess Toadstool". Sometimes.

Bowser turned to his eldest son with a smile. "Hello Luddy!" he greeted brightly. His smile then faltered when he saw Ludwig nervous. "What's the matter?"

"Well..." Ludwig said nervously; sweat coming out of his forehead. "I got my report card and—"

Ludwig was suddenly cut off by Bowser hugging him tightly. "Another all A+ year from my son the infamous Ludwig von Koopa!" he cried happily. "I wouldn't expect any less from you my boy!"

Ludwig broke free of the hug and handed the report card to his father. "Well, not this time..." he trailed off.

Bowser read through his report card, and his happiness turned to anger as he glared at Ludwig. "WHAT?! ONLY As AND Bs?!" the Koopa King shouted. "NO WAY! LET ME GET THE BELT!"

Bowser opened his drawer and immediately took out a belt while Ludwig slowly backed away.

"I-I'm sorry Father." Ludwig choked out. "I-I'll try harder next time."

Bowser then took a swing at Ludwig, and the eldest koopaling flinched at each whip. Tears threatened to spill from his eyes. "Like heck you will!" Bowser yelled. "When did you stop taking your studies seriously? Is school that boring for you? You think you're too cool for school? Or maybe you didn't try hard enough you disappointment!"

The scenario was popped out of Ludwig's head and he fell into a panic attack. He collapsed onto his knees and started sobbing. He gripped onto his bedsheets as if it were a lifeline. All the while he kept on mutter "I'll try harder", "I'll try harder" to himself through his sobs.

It was around dinner when Ludwig's panic attack ceased. By the time his sobs had reduced to sniffles he heard a knock on his door.

"Ludwig?" the voice of his grandfather and mentor Kamek spoke through the door. "Dinner is being served. Your family awaits you."

Ludwig's eyes widened in fear at the mention of his family. That means Bowser is there too. With fear on his mind still he grabbed a wand and casted a barrier around his room part of the castle. He heard a yelp; which probably meant the magikoopa was startled by the sudden barrier.

"No thank you Kamek." he sniffled. "I'm not hungry tonight. I'm gonna go to bed early. Tell everyone they can eat without me."

Ludwig shakily stood up and staggered to his desk. He felt his pulse going up. "I need to try harder. I need to try harder." he muttered again.

Eventually Ludwig calmed down a bit more. He looked at his laptop and books, then turned to his bed where his report card lay.

"Maybe I can." Ludwig said softly. "Maybe I can try harder. I just need to study during the last year of high school more than usual."