How the Koopas Stole Christmas

It was a late December afternoon in the Darklands. Christmas Eve to be exact. The weather has gotten colder and there's now snow covering the grounds, but that's never stopped the people living there. The people of the Darklands are making last minute preparations for the holidays. No one may believe this is true, but everyone in the Darklands loved Christmas. They love it just as much as the Mushroom Kingdom does.

Even more of an oddity or blessing depending on how the reader sees it; the eldest sibling of the royal Koopa Family and heir to the throne loved Christmas as well. How everyone saw how the castle was getting decorated, it seems it was only the eldest and a few minions are the only ones decorating it with Christmas lights, the tree inside, everything.

Just to clarify which minions are helping Prince Ludwig von Koopa; they're Boos and Peepas. They've been sitting around with not much to do. So Ludwig thought why not?

So far, they're doing a good job with the decorations according to Ludwig's plans.

However, not everyone is joyful this holiday season. Ludwig's family are the only people who didn't like Christmas. A king, six princes, and one princess hated; the whole Christmas season! I mean hey, don't ask why. No one here really quite knows the reason.

The princess — Wendy O' Koopa — tugged at her high heels in annoyance. Maybe one theory is that their shoes are too tight.

The two out of six princes — Iggy Koopa and Lammy Koopa — seem to be...jumpy? Though one looks like they're losing their sanity. Maybe another theory is that their heads...aren't exactly screwed on just right.

If we're going along with the Ludwig von Koopa philosophy, then another theory is that maybe they just hate Christmas for either no reason or some stupid reason that doesn't make any sense.

But I think the most likely theory for why they hate Christmas is that their hearts are two sizes too small.

While watching the Boos, Peepas and Ludwig decorate the entire castle; the King of the Koopas sat on his throne grumbling to his children.

"I hate Christmas so much." he complained. "All the lights are too bright, and no offense to Lud; but the songs hurt my ears."

"And what about the food?" another prince — Morton Koopa Jr. — asked. "I mean, the food isn't all bad."

The king — Bowser — took the glare off his face for a moment. "Well, yes." he agreed. "I guess the food isn't all that bad." Then he returned to glaring. "That's besides the point though. Look, we all love Lud I'm sure..." He then raised his voice. "...but would it KILL him to at least take down these Christmas decorations at least for ONE YEAR? It's starting to make me sick. And yes my son, I know you heard me!"

The princes and princess turned to see that Ludwig is indeed decorating the throne room. He's hanging up wreaths all over the place. A few Peepas entered to help. Ludwig rolled his eyes and glared at his family.

"Are you done with your 'I hate Christmas' monologue or do you need five more minutes?" Ludwig asked bitterly. "I need help with these wreaths." He turned back to the wreaths and continued hanging them up. He then spoke again. "Why do you guys hate Christmas? Come on. Not all songs are upbeat, the food was nicely done by our chefs, and you all loved the gifts you asked for. Father, I remember we were kids you used to dress up as Santa for us and hand us out presents." He smiled a bit at one memory of his mother. "I even remember Mother used to bake us Christmas cookies and make the best fruitcake ever. She even took us caroling outside."