Chapter 1: Thrifting

~Scott~

"You think this would fit me?"

I glanced up from the rack of clothing I had been digging through at my boyfriend's question. "Eh?" I exclaimed, peering around the hanging clothing towards where Jimmy's voice was coming from.

He was in the aisle over from me, and holding up a sage green cardigan to himself, balancing his Starbucks drink in the other hand.

"Uhhh, yeah. Looks like it would." I replied, glancing it up and down. "Color would match your vibe as well."

Jimmy's face split into a grin. "I think I'm gonna get it. It's only..." He struggled to keep his chai in hand while pinning the article of clothing to his chest with his chin, fumbling for the tag. "Eleven dollars and seventy-nine cents!"

"Steeeeeal!" I agreed, continuing to search through the racks for something that fit my taste. I kept coming across a lot of plaid, and fleece. All around unflattering on me.

My allergies had already started to act up from the dust of this place, (I hadn't expected to go thrifting, so I hadn't taken my allergy medicine), and I kept sneezing into the crook of my arm, my nose running uncontrollably. But I was determined to find something. Me and Jimmy had already been here for nearly an hour, deciding to check the place out last minute after a coffee date. It was a cool antique shop, shelves filled with trinkets taking up half the store while the rest was vintage clothing.

"Hey where'd you find that sweater again?" I asked after a moment, peering back over at Jim.

"Uh just over here." He answered, slinging the cardigan over his shoulder and gesturing me over to the hangers. "Just over here." He added with a small flick of his wrist towards a couple of racks. "I think it should have your size-"

I nodded, beginning to search through these hangers instead for something of interest. Several minutes of searching later Jimmy was helping, using his free hand to dig through the clothes tightly packed on the rickety metal poles.

There were several chic trench coats but many of them seemed way too short to look good on me. However, I did find a maroon turtleneck I think my brother would like. And since he had been quote-on-quote 'nice' enough to drive us here, I grabbed it for them.

"Ready to go?" Jim asked, finishing off the last of his chai. "They put way too much ice in these drinks..."

"Yep. Think I'm gonna ask the cashier when they restock though, so I can come back and find something better." I said with a small shrug, holding the sweater for my brother over my arm.

"Sweet. Text me when you're coming back, I'll come with you." Jimmy replied with a smile as we began to walk back to the front of the store.

Several of the things listed on the shelves also caught my eye, however. Including wind chimes hanging from the ceiling, sparkling in the light coming through the large dusty window in the front. There were displays of bracelets and necklaces near the register, although they looked like they'd be more on the expensive side.

The rickety shelves lining the entirety of the rather small building held things of intrigue as well. I saw a group of carved wooden animals out of the corner of my eyes, and license plates from all over the place hung on the walls. Jewelry and old can openers, tea sets and wine glasses. They had the most random of things here, but all seemed interesting in a place like this.

Beneath the scent of dust and...old, there was a faint smell of rose. Like the place had been spritzed in perfume before all the relics were moved inside.

"Scott stop walking backwards, you're going to break something." Jimmy scolded playfully, snapping me back to reality.

"Right-" I said, turning on my heel to walk the correct way. But as I turned something else caught my eye, piquing my curiosity more than anything else had in the shop. "Ooh, sweet!" I exclaimed, coming to a halt as my gaze landed on a purple D20 dice laying on a shelf.