1 - 2 . Think Like a Man

"[b/n]."

Not hearing the yell with your wired earbuds you continue walking through the front gate of your home, hoodie up and a baseball cap on.

"[b/n]?!" the voice persisted, growing closer.  You fiddled with the soccer ball in your hand, trying to forget about the events of today.

"[b/n], jeez!" A swift yank on your backpack sent you rocketing backward, "Ow!" Turning around,

You found yourself face to face with your brother's crazy ex, who threw you a disgusted look. You return the look and raise your eyebrows. You pull the wires out of your ears and wait for her to speak.

"Ew. It's you. God, you and your brother look scary alike from the back." She sighed taking her sunglasses off and flipping her hair.

"Thank... you?" You respond caustically, slowly taking off your hood.

"I think it's your total lack of curves."

"Oh, well, never mind then. Hi, Mayuki. It's so good to see you too," you replied, trying to maintain a forced smile.

"Mm. I'm looking for [b/n]," she said, her gaze wandering idly as she balanced on the balls of her feet. "Where is he?"

"I don't know. Maybe you should ask him?" You tilted your head to the side, giving her a playful closed-eye smile.

"Just remind your brother how lucky he is to be in my life. And tell him to give me a call if he wants to stay in it. Ok, sweetie?"

"Ok. Does he have your number? 1-800-BEYOTCH?" You smiled at your own joke but it slowly drops at Mayuki leaning uncomfortably close to your face, mocking you with a high-pitched baby voice. She rolled her eyes, put her sunglasses back on, raspberrying you, and walked off to god knows where.

"Bye Mayuki," you gave her a small wave before making your way into your mother's house. When you opened the door, your mother stood there, radiating an unusually joyful energy. Something was definitely up.

"Oh, sweetie! How was school?"

"No more soccer." you scowled slowly making your way up the stairs.

"Did you quit? But it made you so happy. You even had that cute guy Itoshi-" Your mother followed you, bouncing with energy.

You halted on the stairs and turned around. "We broke up."

She stopped on the stairs and her smile faltered, but she attempted to keep it up. "What? Why?"

"I don't wanna talk about it," you groaned, turning away to continue up the stairs.

"He's so handsome and rugged and chiseled and great..." Your mother's words drifted off into dreamy murmurs, her arms wrapped around herself as she swayed.

"Then why don't you date him, Mom?" You turn around irritated at where she is taking the conversation.

Her expression shifted, and her eyes darted around, considering the possibility. "No," she giggled, "I couldn't." With a hasty excuse, she vanished into the kitchen, attempting to refocus on her tasks and avoid getting her thoughts mixed up.

As you made your way down the hallway towards your room you heard noises coming from your brother's room. Slowly opening the door you were careful not to spill any of the half-drunken soda cans on the rug floor. His room was more distraught than the normal hurricane feel it had. The posters of metal bands and half-naked women were still up on his walls and the crusty confrater still needed to be washed.

"Hey, [b/n]. Whatcha up to?" You knocked lightly on the already partially open door and hopped onto his bed. "Mayuki was looking for you," you added with a playful gag.