10. Delightfully dismal

Please make sure you VOTE and leave a COMMENT on your favourite parts readers.

Also, please read the note at the end.

***

A bleary eyed Aarohi looked up to find light rays of the morning sun peeking through the dark clouds, indicating the arrival of dawn. The poor girl had tossed and turned in bed, not being able to sleep the whole night as a consequence of that wretched nightmare about her mother. And if that wasn't bad enough, the incidents that Vrikasura had caused were there to disturb her further.

She finally convinced herself to get out of bed and decided to wander around the palace to soothe her nerves. But after witnessing something that she'd never expected tonight she was now even more shaken up than before. Although it had nothing to do with her.

Aarohi anxiously fiddled with her pearl bracelet as she now walked back to her room, recalling what had happened. She had just stepped out of her room then and as she heard a quiet commotion from the other side, she had went to go check it and couldn't quite wrap her head around what she had witnessed there. There was rajmata Kunti, with all her luggage packed. She was leaving before the coronation.

Aarohi's mouth parted as a confused sound escaped her lips. Kunti caught a glimpse of the girl and they stared at each other as if communicating through their eyes. Aarohi's eyes had distinctly questioned the older woman her reason for leaving, while Kunti's tear stained ones answered that she had overstayed her welcome. And then... she left.

Hence, so did Aarohi.

She didn't know what to think of this. Kunti was the only elder from Hastinapur who was in attendance here as the others were busy in their obligations and couldn't come to Anga. Also, Karna's parents weren't attending either, so Aarohi felt happy with the fact that Kunti was. But now, she had left too.

Aarohi emerged into a hallway, dragging in a deep breath but halted as she spotted a familiar face.

"Aarohi...? Oh, what a pleasant surprise. I never knew you liked early morning walks." Karna greeted her cheerfully, which made her stomach churn with anxiety. Everytime Aarohi knew something the others did not, it became difficult to even look at the person without thinking straight. She had to remain so reserved when internally she wanted to tell them about it.

Alas, it was not her duty to do so.

"Not quite." Aarohi answered with a tone that sounded a bit colder than usual. She wanted to keep the conversation short and simple so she wouldn't accidentally blurt anything out.

'I feel my discoveries should be saved for later, lest it ruins his mood before coronation.' She thought.

Both stood there silent for a moment, not knowing what they should say next. Karna gazed over at Aarohi and noticed she was still in her thin night clothes, while he was dressed up already. Her eyes were tired yet her face appeared indifferent. There was a flicker of something underneath, but she was definitely good at hiding whatever it was.

"You look tensed. Is everything alright?" Karn questioned, but the only response to his words was silence. A strange expression of restlessness had settled on Aarohi's features, which made him worried, especially given how she had left their conversation a day before. She tried to slip past him, but he gently grasped her hand, forcing her to look at him. The girl looked awfully similar in the dim lights. But to who...?

"Aarohi, if there's something that has happened-"

"No, Karn it's nothing. Maybe you're imagining things. I'm fine."