12. Unwanted company

Please make sure you VOTE and leave a COMMENT on your favourite parts readers. 💕

***

Deep inside the dense forests near the mighty kingdom of Panchal, all the princes had settled down for the night, preparing themselves for the fight ahead. Just after dinner, Yudhishthir and Arjun had begun discussing about the best formations which could be useful in the war. Sitting outside surrounded by countless dense trees whose canopies only let a meagre amount of the sliver moonlight in, they were waiting for their brothers, who were still not finished.

Having gone over all the basics, the two brothers eventually made it to the topic of how they were supposed to coordinate or cooperate with their cousins, since they knew Duryodhan would never listen to anything they'd say, no matter how advantageous it might prove to be.

"How are we supposed to succeed if no one listens to our strategies jyeshth?" Arjun asked worried, lining up his arrows.

"I am sure we'll be able to cooperate with each other anuj. This is for Guru Drona." Yudhishthir answered as he meditated to keep his mind centred for the coming day. Despite everything, he wanted to believe that this war they had to fight alongside their cousins, would not be an issue.

"But how can- -" Before Arjun could question further, a sudden rustle from behind a large bush drew the brothers attention, making them distinctly aware of their surroundings. Both of them looked at each other, questions evident in their eyes.

Was someone from the Kauravas listening?

Or was it a spy from Panchal itself?

Arjun silently reached for his bow as Yudhishthir extended his hand towards his spear, passing each other a look. Yet, they shook their heads and put down their weapons and rather stood silently, waiting to nab anyone who'd come out. They waited and waited... until the rustling sounds came closer and closer...

Without warning, two figures jumped out!

Yudhishthir and Arjun immediately sprung into action, jumping on the two men, who grunted as they caught them.

"Jyeshth, we've both got one in our hold. How do we get the rope?"

"Let's call out for Nakul and Sahadev! They'll both tie up these thieves." Yudhishthir said, looking at Arjun, ignoring what the men in their hold were rambling about. The brothers struggled to keep their hold as they called for the twins. To their surprise, it was Bheem who came out. But Bheem, upon spotting his brothers instead of helping, unexpectedly started to laugh, clutching his sides as he doubled over.

"Bhrata Bheem? What's so funny that it's more interesting than these thieves at hand?" Arjun questioned.

"Oh yes! They are both thieves, my laddoo thieves!" Bheem chuckled once again while his brothers glanced at each other, confused, that's when they noticed that the men in their holds, had strangely stopped struggling.

"Your laddoos? Those were our laddoos! You were trying to steal ours!"

"Oh! Really?" The mighty Vrikordara came forward and grabbed the thieves by their ears. They did not run, they just whined. And suddenly, everything became clear to Arjun and Yudhishthir. "Nakul...? Sahadev...?" The brothers snickered upon realising that they had caught no thieves, but the poor Madreayas who were only trying to save their share of laddoos from Bheem!