13. So comfortably numb

It's my humble request to please leave some comments, as it gets difficult to understand if you all even like the future plot, and make sure to comment your opinions about the other characters from the future too. It helps me improve so much! 💕

***

"Where did Duryodhan and his brothers go?" Bheem raised a question, looking around.

Several days later, after fighting their first battle against King Drupad and winning, the Pandavas were headed back to Hastinapur, in fact the five brothers rode just along it's borders on their stallions. They still could not believe it.

From not being included in the battle by Duryodhan, who had reasoned that every student's participation wasn't necessary in order to provide gurudakshina and that he wouldn't let anyone older than him fight alongside, they had won against such a powerful army alone when given the chance later. Arjun had defeated Drupad with the help of those stones, finally figuring out their meaning. The Kauravas had tried and failed to do the same and were unfortunately imprisoned by Shikhandini. Naturally, Duryodhan had felt the burnt of the situation deep inside, which got more distressing when he came to know that his cousins had won the war.

"They left for Hastinapur long back bhrata shri. They didn't even attend Ashwatthama's coronation." Replied Sahadev, breaking the silence.

"Maybe they didn't have the to courage to accompany us to Hastinapur." Nakul mused, smoothing down his hair which flowed gently in the breeze.

"Nakul, we should rest for a while. I'm completely famished! Had I known that fighting in a battle makes one so hungry... I would have fought a battle everyday." Bheem laughed, clutching his sides, feeling jovial after their victory.

"One doesn't feel hungry after a battle bhrata Bheem, one feels hungry after winning it." Arjun stated as he stretched his arms luxuriously, waking up from the back of his horse.

"Are you awake? But weren't you asleep Arjun?"

The sun glowed languidly through the trees, indicating the arrival of the mellow evening, casting light shadows and patterns all over Arjun's chiseled torso. "Well, as guru Drona says, the smaller the time period between sleeping and waking up, the greater is the success of a man." He smiled pleasantly, in good spirits.

"You know, even I know a person who is the same, irrespective of whether he's asleep or wide awake. He keeps dreaming day and night." Bheem joked clearly making fun of Duryodhan, laughing, while all his younger brothers joined in.

"Bheem, quit talking about Duryodhan in this manner. When one is agitated, trying to calm him with soothing words is the most appropriate." Yudhishthir, who rode a few steps further, reasoned with his anuj. He didn't want his brothers to talk bad about anyone, if not for maintaining the courtesy, then for their own peace of mind. After all, these empty words did nothing but spoil everything.

"But jyeshth, do you truly believe that Duryodhan will ever be at peace? Now that we've won the battle, will he accept his defeat? Will he ever accept you as the crown prince?" Arjun questioned his elder brother, he knew it in his heart their dear cousin wouldn't be happy with their achievement.

"No one can have such a weak heart where righteousness cannot dwell, Arjun." Yudhishthir sighed trying to explain, and yet he couldn't help but question the truth of his own words.