00. he didn't know her name.

♡₊˚ 🦢・₊✧⋆⭒˚。⋆PROLOGUEnarrative!

♡₊˚ 🦢・₊✧⋆⭒˚。⋆
PROLOGUE
narrative!

olive made her way through the door of her english class, per usual. she sat down in her seat, towards the back of the classroom, and rested her head on the desk in front of her. there was only about one week left of school until she graduates and she couldn't look forward to it more. she was so excited to leave washington and head further south.

to go anywhere that isn't washington.

she doesn't abhor the people here, she simply doesn't want to be stuck in this town like it seems everyone else is. she wants to pursue a social media career. she's already on the up-and-coming. she amassed about fifty-thousand followers on instagram in the span of two months and has already done a couple pr reviews and brand deals. she knew she could take this somewhere. 

she was thinking about how bright her future would be. maybe she'd move to LA, get a nice apartment, model part-time, maybe live with francesca and caroline. they've all been friends since kindergarten, another couple of years together is nothing. who knows, maybe daniel, her older brother, will move to LA too, if he decides to pursue acting. at the moment he resided in a small apartment, not too far from olive and her parents' house.

seemingly lost in her head, she didn't realize the late bell had rang and it startled her from her day dreaming. a couple stragglers rushed into the room, trying not to get on the bad side of mrs. wright for being tardy.

vinnie hacker, the resident heartthrob sat in his usual seat right in front of her. he dapped up his friends sitting next to him—she still can't decide if that's an ick or not—and pulled out the book that they were going to continue reading in class today. this prompted olive to take out hers too.

"alright class," their teacher, mrs. wright began, "today we are going to continue reading and annotating romeo and juliet. we left off on page..." she droned on. olive quickly lost focus. per usual. she already had an A in the class, everything came easy to her. she looked down to her now opened book marked for where she left off, an unread and unannotated page.

"hey, do you have a pen i can borrow?" a masculine voice asked. she looked up from her book to meet a beautiful face, one belonging to vinnie. olive was caught off guard. he never talked to her, let alone even glanced in her direction. she noticed him though. you can say she had a small, teensy weensy crush on him. not that he'd ever know. his messy, dark blond curly hair, his plump lips, his eyes, his smile. major swoon.

"hello...?" he asked. she snapped out of the transfixion she had for his face. she was now embarrassed.

"um yeah, let me get it," she grimaced, it was more or less supposed to be a smile. she reached into her bag to pull out her pencil case, unzipped it, and plucked out two black pens: one for vinnie and one for herself. "here you go." she smiled, correctly this time. she pushed her glasses up her face as they had fallen slightly from her bending down for her bag.

"thanks. i'll give it back to you at the end of class." he smiled back at her. what a beautiful smile she thought. he turned back around in his seat to face the talking teacher, blabbering about who knows what. olive still didn't care. she cared about the fact that the vinnie hacker talked to her.

she finally decided to continue reading and annotating the assigned book, much to her dismay. a while after, the bell rang, indicating the end of the school day. she was beyond happy about that.

she gathered her bag and briskly walked out the classroom door, ready to hop in her car and head home for the day.

"wait up! your pen!" vinnie yelled from a sizable distance in the hallway. olive turned around at the sound of his voice. a few heads turned too.

she walked the distance back to him pushing and squeezing through the mass of students making their way to the exit of the school.

"thanks, you didn't have to give it back."

he showed his boyish grin, "yeah but i said i'd give it back. here you go," he held his hand out to olive. she pulled the pen out of his grasp, their fingers briefly touching. surely that contact meant more to her than it did to him. "goodbye." he walked away.

olive came to the conclusion that he doesn't know her name. not once did he say it.

it is true, he doesn't know her name, and he slightly cursed himself for not asking.

this notion made her feel sad. maybe he'll ask for it when he sees me next, she assured herself.

not once in the week left of school did he care to ask.

he didn't hear her name during attendance because the teacher memorized faces to the point where she didn't have to call the name. he didn't take note of her name when it was announced during graduation.

he didn't know her name.

and he wouldn't for a long time.

joy speaks!

kinda sad ngl. shucks. anyway!
see you soon 😈