28. the sweater.

♡₊˚ 🦢 ・₊✧⋆⭒˚。⋆CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHTnarrative!

♡₊˚ 🦢 ・₊✧⋆⭒˚。⋆
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT
narrative!

he grabbed his gift from a side table inaccessible to oliver in her hallway.

"this is for you." he said as he handed the gift bag to her.

she pulled the little ribbon holding the handles together and took out the tissue paper and put it to the side; oliver ended up playing with it.

she reached in the bag and felt a soft material; it was a sweater.  

"did you make this?" she asked him. she noticed some imperfections and uneven stitching, it looked handmade.

"yeah, i did." he responded shyly, not knowing how she'd take that information. she recalled a conversation they'd had a few months ago,

"whatcha making there, olive?" she briefly looked back up to the screen, seeing vinnie's curious face.

"just a hat for winter. nothing much." she shrugged. she held up her creation to the screen so vinnie could see.

"i'm gonna learn how to crochet." he said definitively. olive only laughed at this.

"that's aspirational."

"i'm only gonna do it for you. i'll make you something." he tried to convince her.

"yeah, sure." she gave vinnie a knowing look. he didn't back down, however.

"i'm serious! just you wait." he leaned back in his chair, crossing his arms.

"i'll be waiting." she smiled. vinnie didn't realize that the sight of her smile made him smile slightly too.

"vinnie..."

he furrowed his eyebrows in concern. did she not like it? "i'm sorry it might not look the best, i um-"

"vinnie. i love it. this means so much to me." she pulled him down into a hug. at first he was stiff and didn't wrap his arms around her. he couldn't believe that he was wrapped in the arms of a girl that claimed to hate him. the girl he loved.

before olive could pull away out of awkwardness, he quickly wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her in tight. they both felt something in that hug. the longing they've had for each other, the comfort they give one another. they had missed this feeling; it felt like home. they had no idea how long they stayed like that for, until olive broke away, making the boy immediately feel colder.

"um, there's something else in the bag too."

she reached her hand back down into the bag and pulled out an envelope. she made a move to remove the seal off and take the card out, but his hand stopped her from doing so.

"read it after i leave, please." he requested. she nodded at him. his hand lingered over hers an inappropriate amount of time until he realized what he was doing.

"okay." she nodded her head, but not meeting vinnie's eyes. it was slightly awkward now that they were aware of how close they were getting. too close for people that have been separated for weeks.

"i'm gonna go, alright?" she nodded once again, this time meeting his eyes. his feet stayed planted on the floor of olive's hallway, right in front of her. before he psyched himself out of doing it, he cupped the side of her face and bent down to kiss her cheek, letting his lips linger briefly. he whispered a gentle goodbye into her ear before he took his hand off of her face and walked off towards the living room.

she whispered a soft goodbye, one that vinnie most likely couldn't hear. although vinnie couldn't see it, olive was blushing profusely. she was frozen in place. although the action was so minor, it was huge for them. it felt like she had a high school crush all over again, and she didn't know how she felt about that.

she shook out of her daze and waited to hear her front door shut before she opened the envelope containing the card vinnie wrote for her,

dear olive,

happy birthday! i hope you are reading this on your birthday and i didn't psych myself out of going to your party. i hope your day has been good, and i hope my presence didn't ruin anything for you; i know we aren't on the best terms.

on that note, i want to apologize. i know it's kind of a pussy move to not say this in person, but i'm sorry. so, truly sorry. i'm sorry for putting you through completely unnecessary shit, i'm sorry for being obnoxiously jealous, and i'm sorry for not trusting you. i hope you know this, but you didn't deserve any of the shit i pulled. i'm sorry.

i know giving you the sweater probably isnt the only thing i need to do to even have a chance of us getting back together, but i hope it helps in some way. it took so long and some of the tutorials were so confusing? idk how you do it. and i hope you like the color it felt like it was hit or miss. fuck, this sounds like i'm making shit about myself. um. just know that i'm going to keep trying to make it up to you. you deserve only the best and i want to be that for you. i want to be the one for you, olive.

i hope one day i can say that i'm yours. that would be pretty cool idk and fuck i hope all of this doesn't sound weird i'm really bad at this. is this too long for a letter? i don't know.

call me sometime maybe? or text me. that's probably easier. it's okay if you don't. um, i understand if you don't. i just want to talk to you, hear your voice. god, does this sound weird??? i'm sorry if it does. im saying sorry a lot goddamn. i'm gonna stop writing now. i'm embarrassing myself.

also tell oliver i miss him!!

happy 23,

love vinnie :)

long story short: olive was very conflicted with her feelings towards the apologetic boy. she was fucked.

joy speaks!

idk i started giggling and twirling my hair when he kissed her cheek... the progress is progressing.

the next chapters are interesting i think, we'll see. as of 10/16 when im writing this, i barely started the other chapters but!!!!

update: TYYY FOR 3K READS AHHHH ❤️❤️❤️

look forward to the next chap in 3 days! don't forget to like, comment, and share <3

bye!