Chapter 37

"Well, sometimes I feel like I don't wanna be where I am"
-Olivia Rodrigo

"So, what did you need this for again?" Emery asked, handing me the black backpack.

"Um, I forgot it in the car and eh, I really really needed it so thanks for getting it." I reply vaguely.

"Yeah, girl, I got that. What I'm asking is what's in it. Is it rocks? 'Cause it's freaking heavy for just notebooks." She presses.

I turn to my brothers for help but apparently the walls are more interesting than this conversation. So much for helping me explain...

"So?" Emery insists just as Blake makes an appearance.

I turn my attention to him and grin widely.

"Hey there stranger, where have you been all day?" I raise an eyebrow and tilt my head.

He smiles softly at me. "I was at the library, catching up on some homework-"

He then frowns and seems to hesitate for a moment.

"Listen, Thena. Um, students are talking and I know better than to believe the rumors but... Are we safe? Because there's this really weird girl running around and telling everyone about how dangerous and weird the new kids are and then I heard your name and I got worried." He rumbles.

That seems to get my brothers' attention. They furrow their eyebrows and frown at each other. Gray slides in beside me and places his arm around my waist, pulling me towards him. He kisses the crown of my head and wishpers an almost inaudible 'it's gonna be okay' in my hair.

"Listen," Ares interjects, "things are about to get bad so it might be wise for you guys to leave. I'm sure you've heard the stories about our family. We can take care of ourselves. But you two need to go."

Emery scowls. "I don't like this. I don't wanna leave Athena if it's dangerous here."

"And we could help somehow too!" Blake cuts in. "I mean, we don't know how to fight, but if there's anything else we can do, we want to help."

I look at both of them sadly. "Although, we do appreciate the thought, I don't -"

"No," Emery interrupts me. "There's no way you're doing this alone. There must be something we can do."

"Actually..." Apollo drawls, "they could help get the rest of the students out."

I glare at him. "This is not a game Apollo. If something goes wrong and they get hurt I'll never forgive myself. You can't put this responsibility on me."

Emery takes my hand in hers and smiles at me. "We're not your responsibility, Athena. And we will be careful. Please, we want to help if you're in danger."

I take a moment to think about it. They'll help get the rest of the students out so they'll be in the middle of the crowd. There's no way the Russians will shoot a bunch of innocent students just to get back at us. Actually... There's no guarantee for that, but it's the safest job they can take.

I look back at Atlas and silently ask for his opinion. He nods his head in a barely there movement.

I turn to my two best friends and whisper a quiet 'okay'.

They both smile softly at me.

"So," Matteo calls out, "here's what you have to do."

He explains the plan to them. First they have to ring the fire alarm, then make sure that most of the student body is out and follow behind. They have to guide the students away from the school and later on call the fire department and explain how the fire at the school was a prank and no firetrucks are needed.