chapter 2 [tag/fil]

THE rumors about Rhythmix's firm confidence spread through the school like wildfire. Whispers echoed in the hallways, conversations in hushed tones carrying the excitement of what was to come. Students hurriedly adjusted their schedules, ensuring they wouldn't miss a single note of the much-anticipated Battle of the Bands.

And then, the day arrived.

'Yong campus namin nag-transform talaga into a grand music festival setup. May mga banners na full of vibrant colors na pumupukaw sa atensyon at nagpapangiti sa mga dumaraming attendees. Amplifiers and speakers were strategically positioned, their wires weaving a labyrinth beneath the stage that now dominated the main courtyard.

Mas lalo pang napuno ang space nang lumubog ang araw, bumaha ng iba't ibang mukha ang palibot-students, teachers, parents, and even curious locals streamed, mga indie artists o kahit mga tambay lang sa kanto o mga namamasada na tricycle drivers na gusto muna mag-music and chill.

The stage itself was a marvel-grabe ang artistry at energy ng crowd. Mas visible na rin ang lightings na super creative din nang pagkakaayos. Sound technicians moved with purpose, their hands a blur of motion as they fine-tuned the audio to perfection.

Nagpatugtog muna sila ng music habang hinihintay pang dumagsa ang mga tao, makumpleto ang judges at ang mga bandang kalahok.

Few hours later, the moon was already hung high in the sky, stars casting a shimmering glow over the sprawling soccer field turned into a wonderful set up of stage. It was a day unlike any other, a day that had been marked on calendars and etched into the collective consciousness of the Libertians-the Battle of the Bands.

Nakapag-sound check na kami at ang iba pang banda. Yes, tinuloy ko. Anong akala n'yo tumitig lang ako sa nakapaskil na poster sa bulletin board? Hindi syempre.

At hindi rin po kami makapag-start dahil wala pa ang Rhythmix, 'yong banda ni Leo.

"Nasa'n na sila?" sambit ng mga nag-aalalang fans nila, natatakot na baka nag-backout sila or may masamang nangyari.

"Nagkasakit daw 'yong drummer nila. Can you believe it? This could be disastrous," bulong ng isang estudyante, her voice tinged with worry as she clutched a handmade sign emblazoned with the band's name. Talagang naki-chismis pa 'ko that time.

"Or maybe their guitarist broke a string. That can mess up an entire performance," sabat pa ng isa, his brow furrowed in concern. Ang mema lang ng speculations nila.

Kung ano-anong theory pa ang narinig ko habang nakatambay ako rito malapit sa mga audience sa harapan. Pero 'yon nga, so suddenly, ang mga bulungan napalitan ng sigawan.

Heads turned; gazes fixed on the entrance to the performance area. Finally, nandito na sila and people gone wild when Rhythmix made their entrance.

Leo Quintero led the charge, his stride exuding an air of confidence that was as infectious as it was undeniable. His bandmates followed suit, a united front that oozed self-assuredness. They were latecomers, yes, but their entrance was deliberate - a bold proclamation that they were here, and they were ready to claim the stage.

As Rhythmix took their positions, Leo's eyes swept over the crowd, his gaze locking onto his friends, family, and fellow students. A proud smile curved his lips as he raised his bass guitar, a silent promise etched in his determined expression.

Tapos no'ng nag-sound check sila, pinag-usapan pa raw nila kami. Kasi nga as usual naman na ang banda na binubuo ng STEM students-Euphony, which is kabilang na ako ngayon do'n, ang matalik nilang karibal sa kampeonato.

"Did you see the new lineup for Euphony?" mused Jesse, his eyes dancing with mischief as he adjusted the drum kit. "It's as if they've assembled a choir of cherubs."