𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟭𝟭 [𝗲𝗻𝗴𝗹𝗶𝘀𝗵]

AFTER the morning class, I noticed that Colleen and Leo left together. That girl... she was so overly touchy with Leo, as if she was trying to claim him every second.

"Oh, friend! Listen to this... this didn't originate from me, okay. Many are saying... Colleen's just a clout chaser and a social climber, bragging so much on social media.

"What's surprising, according to the source, is that she's suddenly so protective of Leo 'in public'. She doesn't really care about Leo. No one's even trying to flirt with her boyfriend because apparently Colleen has an attitude.

"Here's the tea, she never introduced Leo to her parents! Never featured him on social media, just posting mirror selfies with an iPhone, Starbucks, flexing LV, you get what I mean?

"Hm, I don't know why she's suddenly exposing and stirring up intrigue. Feeling like a celebrity? Tsk, you have more followers than her! Maybe she's just 5% of yours! I don't know, I have nothing to say.

"Maybe she realized she finally met her match! So bold, huh, getting jealous, bro! You're such a big threat to her! Don't be jealous, be proud. Slay! I really don't want to talk anymore. I have nothing to say."

"You don't have anything to say about that, huh!?" I countered, contradicting what she said about not wanting to speak. I shook my head and chuckled, "You don't seem mad at that girl, huh? Seriously? I see, it's obvious."

She chuckled at my remark. "To be fair to you, you don't seem obvious." I know what she meant.

"Hey!" I said, tapping her shoulder. "Fail at being obvious?"

"Hey! This person won't be too obvious! Annoying!" she energetically exclaimed, imitating the famous expression influenced by Filipino online influencers.

No joke. I really appreciate Laura. I don't know whether to laugh or what I'm feeling, she's called me all sorts of things and said all sorts of things. My emotions are all over the place now. Auntie's tea has been completely thrown out but I get her point. She's trying to make me feel better. It's obvious she did that for me. She made me happy. We all have that one friend who, when someone messes with us, will speak evil and ridicule their whole being, from head to toe.

Speak of the devil, there he was. Suddenly appeared like a mushroom.

"Laura, let's go bitch! Are you going to the cafeteria?" asked Elfin, speaking with his high-pitched voice that is usually a pain in my ears.

I signaled to Laura to go with her friend and said it's okay even though it's not just so she wouldn't worry. What surprised me was that she ignored Elfin, as if she didn't hear anything. She wrapped her arms around mine and then she pulled me with her. She even bumped into Elfin and the way he stumbled in the hallway where many students saw was satisfying.

"LAURA!? ARE YOU FOR REA-- WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?" he screamed so loud until a Liaison officer caught him and arrested him. He was invited to go to the judicial office for the scandal he just made. He was screaming in the hallway while there were still classes going on in the adjacent classroom.

"That's what you get," Laura chuckled with a smirk, then asked me if I was eating a burger.

I said yes, that's my typical answer and I'm not picky when it comes to food.

She asked because she's treating. "Got you! Let's have some burgers! My treat."

"No no it's o-" before I could finish my refusal, she immediately interrupted.

"Ah ah ah..." shaking her head rapidly as she shushed me. "I said what I said."

I had a great recess time with Laura. She even shared her unforgettable experiences with her ex-girlfriends. We also had deep conversations, like about her family being supportive of her chosen gender (lesbian), while I admitted that I'm still not open with Papa. She advised and encouraged me. She also gave me advice about life, choosing a guy, and love. I even admitted that I have a secret boyfriend. She's cool with that, but I also told her that my feelings seem unclear... like I don't want to anymore, I said. She said a lot of beautiful things that relieved my stress. I mean, she's a woman but I can say Laura is the man! She really is the man!

So far, she's the only one who knows my secret. And of course, my secret lover Bob.

Laura and I parted ways when she said she's going home. Even though it's time to go home, I don't usually go home right away because I still have things to do here at school. I love the golden hour, especially at the grandstand. We usually jog there, Leo and I, especially when we have time. We couldn't jog last time because we were filming an audition video for the university band.

The faint sound of my footsteps echoed in the quiet and almost deserted hallway. I was heading to the locker area, where the lack of noise made my heartbeat and breathing audible. A few more steps and I was in front of my locker, gray and metal. I placed my thumb firmly on the small screen until it lit up green and recognized my fingerprint.

After opening the locker, I took out my ready-to-wear track suit, dry-fit shirt and shorts, running shoes, towel, and tumbler. After getting them, I closed the locker with one hand, but then I stopped in my tracks.

"Oh, Leo!" I exclaimed in surprise, unintentionally dropping my rubber shoes. "You startled me."

"I see," he said, picking up my running shoes. "You look like you've seen a ghost."

As I was about to retrieve my shoes, he suddenly moved them away and held them up. I stared at him, giving him a look because of what he did. I couldn't read him and what's even annoying is I don't have time for banter because I might be late for sunset!

"Are you avoiding me?" he asked, direct and without beating around the bush, causing me to panic.

"H-Huh?" I could barely articulate my response properly because my throat seemed to have blocked. I said I didn't know what he was talking about and that I'm not avoiding him to stop him from thinking I'm affected by what's happening.

"Okay, I thought you were avoiding me..." He turned away casually after saying that and started walking ahead.

I was just standing there because I didn't know what was going on in his mind. He looked back when he noticed I didn't follow and was just staring blankly.

"What? Let's go? Are you just going to stand there?" He smiled after seeing me unable to move from my spot. I didn't know the reason, but I just smiled back without realizing it.

"Your stuff? H-Have you brought them?" I asked, forgetting how to calm a pounding heart.

"They've been with me since earlier, in my bag. I've been waiting for you to pass by here," he said with a nod.

I just noticed that I was happily walking, following him. I touched my cheek, trying to contain the smile that reached my ears.

What the fuck!? What am I feeling? Is this what they call a 'mixed-signals enjoyer'?