Chapter 1: Moving Back to Square One

All was peaceful in Splatsville that night. But not for long. Just hours from now, an ID-less dead body would be found, with her signature scarred suction cup having been sliced off her tentacles and was now mysteriously missing from the crime scene, her body resting in an evaporating pool of lavender ink that had stained the concrete, a result of her untreated stab wounds. This is Maya. Was Maya, more like, and her untimely demise was not random or even a "wrong place wrong time" situation. This had been carefully plotted and planned out for at least a year and a half by some of the greatest minds in humanoid-cephalopod history. This was an act of revenge. There would be no justice for Maya; she had just arrived in Splatsville not even a week prior. No one knew who she was, nor did she appear to have any enemies. Well, Inkling enemies, to be exact. Maya's enemies had two fewer limbs than the Inkling species - Octolings.

    "I got what I came here for." Maya slid a coin into the vending machine and punched in her purchase on the keypad with one hand, her phone in the other. "I'll send them as soon as I can."

    "Good work, Agent 4," replied the raspy voice of Captain Craig Cuttlefish, leader of the New Squidbeak Splatoon, over the phone. "I'll tell Agents 1 and 2 to be on the lookout." CLANG! A can of soda clunked out of the machine. Maya picked it up, shifting the phone from her hand to her tentacle briefly as she opened it and took a sip. At that moment, her eye caught an ominous reflection in the vending machine glass. Eight pairs of eyes staring at her from behind in the shadows.

    "When do you think you'll be back? Agents 3 and 5 have been asking about you."

    "Wouldn't count on it, old man," Maya replied grimly, lowering the phone from her ear.

     "Agent 4? Come in, Agent 4!" Click. Maya ended the call, slipped her phone into her pocket, and prepared to face her fate.

    If I'm going down, I'm taking a few of these eight-limbed ground-dwellers with me! she vowed. A smirk embedded itself upon her face as she turned around.

    "Well, well, well. Fancy meeting you here, Number 7," said Maya to the leader, an Octoling male with red eyes, the Golden Toothpick over his ear glinting in the moonlight. "What, your sister couldn't make the long journey here to avenge your mother?"

     "I beat her in a Splatana duel, earning my right to end you myself!" snapped the Octoling, pointing at her with his Splatana Wiper Deco. "I haven't forgotten what you did to my father, as well as all of the other Octolings you killed that day!"

    "I can tell," replied Maya, studying her fingertips as if to imply she was getting bored with her enemy. She turned and narrowed her eyes at him. "Well, while the night's young - get on with it!" Lobbing her mostly full soda can at his face, Maya turned and fled through the alley past The Shoal. The can smashed into the Octoling's face. Enraged, he pointed after her.

    "Ezra! Now!" he ordered. A white-eyed male Octoling pointed his E-Liter Scope after Maya and fired a single shot. Maya felt pain rip through her hair tentacles as the one with her scarred suction cup was sliced clean off. The pain was so severe she fell, forcing herself up as the eight Octolings rushed her. Maya, ink dripping from her cut limb, reached for her back pocket for the one thing she could use to defend herself - her pocketknife. She whipped it out, slashing and missing a male Octoling who skidded to a frightened stop upon seeing it. Some of the other Octolings froze in their tracks upon seeing that dreaded pocketknife - the same one that had terrorized them and their loved ones on that fateful day.

    "That's right - come at me, cowards!" Maya taunted, swinging the pocketknife around with a grin. "Come at me and get sent into the next life!" This threat did not stop Ezra, who ran full speed at Maya, swinging his E-Liter like a baseball bat. The metal tank of the E-Liter smacked Maya right in the forehead and sent her flying a few feet in the air. Stunned, Maya lay there crumpled up in a ball, ink still dripping from her lost tentacle which was now starting to turn slightly translucent, her orange eyes meeting the blank stare of Ezra.